TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
How do the arrows work?...

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Help!: F.A.Q.: How do the arrows work? users admin

Admin
Board Administrator

07-07-2000

Friday, January 30, 2004 - 6:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Admin a private message Print Post    
Cookie-based "NEW" icons: When enabled, Discus will set cookies on each visitor's machine to record the last access from that machine. Upon loading a page with topics or subtopics, these cookies will be compared against the actual modification times of the items. If the items were modified after the user's last visit, JavaScript is used to display a special icon (by default, a yellow "NEW" indication) next to the recently updated thread.

For example: you come to the TVCH, see 5 threads with new posts. You only read 2 of them. You turn off your computer and come back an hour later. Nobody has posted since you were last here, (pretend it's a slow day :-) ) The arrows are all gone now, even though there are 3 threads you didn't read, the arrows are all gone because you had the chance to read them, but didn't. If someone else did happen to post into one of those 3 while you were gone, that one thread will have an arrow.

This is my understanding of it, but I might be wrong. I didn't create this feature, it's built into the software we use.