TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 20, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Cooking Shows: Spring Baking Championship - Sunday 9pm - FoodTV: Archive through May 20, 2015 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 9:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Anyone else watching this show? Tonight is the second show. There are 8 contestants, Duff Goldman (the cake guy), Nancy Fuller(the farm rules gal) and Lorraine Pascale(not sure who she is but from Britain, I think) are the judges. The winner gets $50,000. OH and it is hosted by Bobby Dean (who I didn't even recognize).

I really enjoy it, they aren't mean when they judge and the contestants seem to be a mix between professional and home cooks, plus there is one really cute French guy, LOL.

Florin

08-27-2006

Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Florin a private message Print Post    
I have also enjoyed it so far.

Mummy35332

09-09-2005

Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mummy35332 a private message Print Post    
Watching it now.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, May 04, 2015 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'll probably tune in sooner or later. I really enjoyed the Great American Bake Off (I think that's what it was called) a few summers ago. Those judges were kind as well and you learned alot from what they told the bakers.

Granjan

05-10-2011

Monday, May 04, 2015 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Granjan a private message Print Post    
I enjoy this program. I watched last season also.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Monday, May 04, 2015 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I really like the series and enjoyed the Holiday Baking Championship this past holiday season.

Sounds like they are going to continue because during one of the commercial breaks they were promoting a casting call for future Baking Championships.

I really like listening to Damiano... and I'm sooo happy to find that he can also bake. I think he owns a bakery back in Italy with his brother.

More power to the home baker... I could never come up with recipes on the fly like that...

Also, the producers must allow time for cooling... before presenting to the judges... or the editing is very misleading... because it seems that they are just taking their things out to the oven within minutes of the competition ending. Also... they show them removing the cake pans from their cakes with their bare hands... wouldn't they be too hot to handle??? Or for production purposes do they film those segments later?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, May 04, 2015 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have to say it's really fun when you like all the contestants. It's a fun show.

Cpaaa04

06-14-2011

Monday, May 04, 2015 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cpaaa04 a private message Print Post    
I'm rooting for Simone since she is from St. Louis like me, but I do like all the contestants. Damiano can talk to me all day long with his Italian accent.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, May 04, 2015 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh, LOL, I thought he was French.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 7:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Sorry to see the home baker go home.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It was tough. I like them all, actually, and they all did well, so little mistakes will cost you.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh crap I forgot about this last night!!! Oh well I know it repeats on Saturday.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I am watching, but if I forget, I know I have one week to catch the show on demand,. I have no idea why there is only one episode at a time of each show on demand instead of the whole series for the food network any more than I have no idea why there is no episodes of anything on the CW.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 9:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Serve Duff a naked cake, LOL

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Duff is the King of Cakes....It will be interesting to see who goes home this week.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Wow, Simon was lucky and Sandy went home. That was a pretty tough choice, but I have felt like Nancy was against Sandy from day one.

Mummy35332

09-09-2005

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 12:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mummy35332 a private message Print Post    
It was interesting to see the fondant pulled off the cake before serving.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I have always wondered about that Mummy, I just can't imagine eating that "hard as a rock, candy coating", LOL.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Regarding fondant... after watching several cooking/baking shows... I would never eat it... after seeing how it is usually worked... excessively... by hand... that really turns me off.

In fact after watching a lot of cooking shows I'm pretty much turned off of eating in restaurants... too much handling... and mishandling... of the food. I remember an episode of Hell's Kitchen where someone threw some overcooked spaghetti away... only to see them come up a serving short so they fished it out of the garbage, plated, and served it. I was horrified!!!

Lyn

08-07-2002

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
I've only eaten fondant once and will never again. A co-worker brought in a practice cake she made for a wedding. Anyway, after one bite I said no more. I ate the cake - which was good - but fondant should only be used to make things look pretty. Too sweet and thick! And btw, it stood up by itself as I dug the cake out of my piece In the end we all opted out of the fondant, choosing to compliment her on how great it looked and the taste of the cake itself

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
My youngest DD (who is now fourteen which is hard for me to believe) loves baking and she likes this show so we've been watching it together. She admires what people can do with fondant in an artistic sense but she was saying that it's awful to eat!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I can't believe how old your children are Jimmer. It seems like only yesterday they were born, so I can't imagine how you feel.

I really liked the Xmas one and this show as well. It would seem Nancy wants Damino to win as she falls more in love with him each ep. Fondant is a pita to work with imo, in the classes I took I only covered one cake, the rest of the time we used it strictly for flowers mixed with gum paste.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Jimmer your daughter is so right. Fondant is kinda gross. Give me real icing every time. :-)

Reader234

08-13-2000

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
We're going to Disney during DH's birthday - I have the option of spending oh, maybe $75-$100 on a "custom" cake (you can get podium cakes, premade a lot cheaper when you check in to the restaurant) So I've been stalking a thread on people that have ordered these cakes, and pictures of these cakes - they do indeed have fondant - DH hates fondant!

We watched this episode together, and when she started stripping off the fondant purse that was his comment "Fondant has no place on a cake" but when she stripped it, it didn't look like there was much cake there! lol

(and I guess I will forgo the fascinating gorgeous $$$ fondant cakes!! lol)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL Reader, can you get a cake with butter cream or whipped cream? I am not a big fan of butter cream either, lOL, I strip it off and just eat the cake. But frost one with whipped cream and I want the piece with the most whipped cream, LOL.