TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 14, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Ancestry: Who Do You Think You Are...: Archive through March 14, 2015 users admin

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yay TLC! I hope we don't have to wait a year for the 10 new eps.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 6:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
This was the one I've been waiting for. He's just such a sweetie. So genuine. Very UNhollywoodish, which I found extremely endearing. I could see so much of his goofy Big Bang Character come through - in a good way!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 6:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I was astonished to hear him say he was 40. I figured 29. I've never seen BBT so wasn't to familiar with him. He's a fellow Texan.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My daughter started watching BBT this summer on reruns and I have caught more than my fair share of episodes watching with her - it really is a funny show and of course Jim Parsons' character of Sheldon definitely makes the show. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy on this episode too.

Willsfan

09-04-2000

Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willsfan a private message Print Post    
I knew he wasn't in his 20's but 40? No. Even though I am not a fan of BBT I think he is a good actor and seems to be a nice person in real life.

It was touching watching him look at the church knowing that his ancestor designed it. That must have been amazing & a memory he will have forever.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I just watched the Jim Parsons episode and thought he was a real sweetheart. It was nice to get to know the man behind "Sheldon".

I was really touched by him in the church as well, Willsfan. It was such a beautiful and elegant church. It was so amazing to find the connection to John Adams and Benjamin Franklin too.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Quite honestly the only one I have really liked was Trisha Yearwood, because her relative turned out to be a common person who managed to survive despite being marked for death. Kelly Clarkson irritated me when she was so afraid that her relative would have fought for the South...what would she have done if she had found out differently - not liked the relative regardless of whether he had ever been a slaveowner?

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I got goosebumps tonight when Valerie Bertinelli found out she was a direct descendant of King Edward I. That was so awesome to see her reaction! :-)

It so neat how she said she can't think of herself as just Italian now. She has to acknowledge the English side.

Amchess

08-26-2002

Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 6:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Amchess a private message Print Post    
I got curious re Edw 1, hope not any problem pasting here:
Married: (1) Eleanor, Daughter of Ferdinand III of Castile, (2) Margaret, Daughter of Philip III of France
Children: Six sons including Edward II,and twelve daughters
18 children! If any problem, I googled then selected family tree.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I noticed everyone keeps posting about this show in the general thread even though it has its own thread.

I really enjoyed Kelsey Grammer's journey. My favorite journeys are when they can go back a couple hundred years or more and find out they were already here. That's how my Husband's family is. Even my husband's great grandmother didn't know of her ancestors being from anywhere else but here. That's how long they have been here. Mine was so different. My first generation American family members are so recent that I met all of them.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, August 22, 2014 - 4:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
The stories I enjoy are the ones that really highlight why a family is the way they are. I could give a fig if they are related to royalty 800 yrs ago. I suppose it makes some people feel more important than they did before they found out but I prefer being able to put a story and a personality with my ancestors.

I have read a lot about Kelsey's life and I am impressed the man is not more broken. I would have been curious to hear about his own father's lineage. Betting it mirrors the maternal, his mother repeating the mistakes of the past when picking a partner.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, August 22, 2014 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
His addiction issues too, every ancestor they found was an alcoholic.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 6:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Loved the season finale. Really felt for Minnie, not even really knowing her own father, much less her grandparents or cousins. Can someone with a better memory help me out though? I was sure I had read that her dad had done jail time for the embezzlement of 56 million which caused the 8 billion dollar collapse of London United Investments. I have been googling but can't find anything beyond the investigation and possibility of charges. Did his failing health save him from that process advancing or did he pay back the money?

Reader234

08-13-2000

Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 7:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
I don't know Rissa but that was the strangest follow thru. I had so many questions, but knowing that, perhaps that's why they followed her, the "secrets"

It was sad that he had such PTSD that he was hospitalized and probably never got the help he needed

No pictures was odd the one cousin she talked to at the theatre I can understand about wanting to protect their privacy (it must be hard, but I'm always glad to see that aspect also)

I can't even remember the other things that were so odd. Dd I discussed, it stood out then, forgotten now!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I hadn't heard anything about the embezzlement, but just found this:

Driver ran the huge insurance company London United Investments, which went under in 1990, with liabilities of at least $8 billion — bigger by far than the infamous BCCI scandal. LUI specialized in insurance for American businesses, including Kraft Foods.

According to reports in the British press, Driver — who once sought a knighthood, played polo with Prince Charles and gave Prince Michael of Kent a seat on LUI’s board — was accused of diverting $56 million in premiums to Liechtenstein, triggering the company’s collapse.

In 1993, the British Department of Trade released a report charging Driver with “gross misconduct” and “wrongly diverted funds.” The Serious Fraud Office then launched a still ongoing probe, but so far Driver has escaped prosecution.

http://pagesix.com/1999/11/27/minnies-dad-drove-8b-collapse/

Doesn't sound like a particularly reliable source but they say he's escaped prosecution so far. I guess they couldn't prove anything.

The way Minnie was talking about her father was very strange, and I guess that explains it. She said her father met her son before his death, but from the way she spoke about him in general, I'd have thought he'd died when she was young and she didn't know him.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
There was something I thought was odd. I know that her father 'hid' Minnie, her sister and their mother from his wife and other child(ren) for many years. But, there did come a time when the wife found out and promptly divorced him, (although, they seemed to have remained close as I read she nursed him the last few years of his life).At his funeral they were all together and supporting each other with no hard feelings. So why didn't Minnie know anything about his family? Not a single one of them showed for the funeral? She couldn't just ask his first wife some questions? Google didn't work on her computer (her father's war record would have been easy to find)? It was a massive affair with a lot of high profile guests. Maybe she wasn't ready to reach out until now so didn't want to find out as opposed to couldn't find out?

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
New Season starts Feb 24th-

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2014/12/16/new-celebrities-get-the-experience-of-a-lifetime-on-new-season-of-who-do-you-think-you-are-on-tlc-548411/20141216tlc01/

The season will include Julie Chen, Angie Harmon, Sean Hayes, and Bill Paxton, along with four others.

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
They revised the schedule- the new season now will debut Sunday March 8th..

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2015/02/04/tlc-announces-additional-celebrity-contributors-for-spring-season-of-who-do-you-think-you-are-on-tlc-325211/20150204tlc01/

Here's the full list:

March 8 Julie Chen
March 15 Josh Groban
March 22 Angie Harmon
March 29 Sean Hayes
April 5 Tony Goldwyn
April 12 America Ferrera
April 19 Bill Paxton
April 26 Melissa Etheridge

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
No cable so I don't see this show. PBS has same kind of show -- Genealogy Roadshow. No celebs involved. They just delve into interesting genealogy of show guests who live in the city where currently filming. It airs Tuesday evenings.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
Coloredeagua....PBS has a show called "Finding Yout Roots" which has celeb's genealogy and it's wonderful. I don't know when the new season starts.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Jag, I have seen that too.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Bump to make sure people have remembered to watch!

Interesting episode with Julie Chen last week.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I saw Julie's.

That was quite a school her great-grandfather (or grandfather) built.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 4:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Thanks

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I have a Dateline Marathon on that channel tonight.