TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
The Tony Awards

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Tony Awards users admin

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Neil Patrick Harris's Opening for the Tonys.... Best.Opening.Ever

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 8:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Neil was great! I'm not up on Broadway so wasn't watching closely. Whoever (female in black dress with lace insert at top) was delivering acceptance speech at 9:30 Eastern time -- YIKES!! I couldn't take much of her.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
I taped it on the VCR and set it incorrectly sadly. Returned to find I only had the first 2 hours. It cut off right in the middle of that terrific Pippin number. Can anyone fill me in on the last hour going forward from there? Thanks if so; I am so disappointed.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 8:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I watched the opening number on Youtube. Loved it! (Love Youtube too!!!) I'm hoping to find the entire show online somewhere. (Complicated by the fact I'm in Canada.)

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
I didn't see the show but I did see Kinky Boots as well as the original movie and am so happy it won so many awards. I will try to find the NPH opening on youtube.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 8:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
The short segment where they had former broadway Tony winners who crossed over to TV.... and their shows were cancelled (SMASH, The New Normal) was hilarious. Of course, NPH has a smash TV show, so he was the only success... Mame, you should try to find that on Youtube.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 9:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/broadway-stars-lament-their-canceled-nbc-tv-shows-on-cbs-tony-awards/

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-neil-patrick-harris-opens-2013-tony-awards-with-epically-bigger-broadway-spectacle/

the opening skit and the skit about cancelled shows.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 9:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Here's another link and a glowing recap of the award show.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/10/tony-awards-2013-whats-the-verdict/?hpt=hp_bn9

Calamity

10-18-2001

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Favorite acceptance speeches: Cicely Tyson, Diane Paulus, and Cyndi Lauper, Judith Light

Best staged musical numbers: Opening, Cinderella, & Pippin

Other great moments: gorgeous set, TV show number, Martha Plimpton, having "characters" from other shows get to introduce nominated shows (though it would have been nice if the actors' names were acknowledged somehow, maybe as screen graphics, at least).

There were some sour notes too - cutting off that one speech, the Rascals numbers taking up time that could have been used for something else, such as more attention for the nominated plays. I would have liked to seen numbers from Drood (please release Remember Wenn on DVD, btw) and Hands on a Hardbody (just for curiosity's sake) but they both closed and probably aren't touring (? not sure though) so no surprise they didn't pony up the cash to get spots on the broadcast.

Random observations: NPH's extreme close-up resembled a recent picture of Drew Carey, sans eyeglasses, that I saw last week.

I'm probably forgetting something...

Panda

07-15-2005

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
I didn't watch but I heard that the play where my mom works at the theater won for best play!

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
Please, someone else mentioned Diane Paulus' speech: what did she win for?

Calamity

10-18-2001

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Paulus won for best direction of a musical (revival of Pippin).

ETA: That's great, Panda!

P.S. Courtney Vance's speech was good too. Knew I was forgetting someone.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Wow, that opening number was amazing, NPH really is amazing on stage.

And I was LMAO at the people song for those who had cancelled TV shows, that was hysterical.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
My only link to Broadway -- I knew Ginifer King. She went to Broadway from Chicago. She temped at a law firm where I was for almost a year. Her desk was next to mine. She got a part in the movie Hale Bopp and was gone.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Well, The view said they were allowed to show the dog licking NPH's face, but not the kissing on the lips because the censor said it was bestiality. Ha Ha

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
OMG!!! I am 72 and a lifelong prude, but I love to see a happy dog loving (or tasting) people. Where is that censor's mind if he or she thinks that way?

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I was thrilled to see that great actress Cecily Tyson win at age 80. She has always been a class act.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
On the West Coast, we saw the dog licking NPH's lips, so they didn't edit it out.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Bumping up this thread for the 2015 Tonys.

Kristin Chenoweth and Alan Cumming are killing it as the hosts this year! Great job they're doing!

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
Liked the co-hosts a lot! Kudos to the dressers for all those costume changes. Saw Anna Wintour in the audience, happened to be the one handed flowers by the On the Town performer. No signature sunglasses!
She is responsible for a lot of the Tony gowns this year. See http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/fashion/the-tony-awards-get-dressed-up.html

Loved vivacious exit dance by King and I "best lead musical actress" Kelli! Enjoyed the Fun House performance best of all--better than the musical excerpts where they tried to cram a lot of excerpts from a show into one big number. For example, saw Kristin Chenoweth doing number ("Never") in a pre-Tony performance showcase; liked it better than the scattered and showy showcase presented tonight. It's like trying to cram too much into one short piece.

Least favorites tonight: Did we really have to hear the hosts saw "CBS" EVERY time!? Grated on my nerves. And please: if you do a memorial tribute, let the focus be on those who have passed. When they finally showed the images, they went too fast and a number were too far away for me to even read the name. I wonder if there's a list anywhere of who was included, I would like to read it.

Overall, however, I thought it was an entertaining and classy show.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, June 08, 2015 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I so enjoyed last night's show. Kristen and Alan were a hoot together. Alan has a CBS connection (The Good Wife) so maybe they'll ask him back again. Loved the In Memoriam section. It was very well done. I'm a musical theatre geek so I loved all the musical numbers and the pre-show on the Tony's site was quite good.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, June 08, 2015 - 8:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Beth, I believe there is a link to the In Memoriams on the Tony Awards site. It's down on the left hand margin of the home page.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, June 08, 2015 - 8:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I loved the taste of the various shows on Broadway. Since I will never see these live, it's fun to know a bit about the show. And yes, Alan Cumming and Kristen were fabulous together.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, June 08, 2015 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Thought the the In Memoriam was lovely. You cannot ever go wrong with Josh Groban singing and then when all the Broadway members started in, I bet it was really great live in the theater.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: