TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 04, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : ARCHIVES: Archive through July 04, 2015 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Lol, I'm up to episode three or four, and am engrossed with every episode, and particularly a couple of storylines. It's the perfect show to watch while on the exercise bike, because before you know it you've cycled 10 miles!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
The voice of Nomi in Sense8 sounds exactly like the voice of Candis Cayne to me. Candis is the transexual actress who played William Baldwin's love interest in the short lived series, Dirty Sexy Money.

I wonder if they had Candis dub over the voice of Nomi because her voice had a deeper tone but still sounded somewhat feminine. I thought maybe the actress who plays Nomi had a voice that was too high for what the director wanted.

Here is video of Ms Cayne speaking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoiahf6cE1o

I wondered about the possible dubbing because in "Greystoke - Lord of the Apes", all of Andie Mcdowel's dialogue was dubbed over by Glenn Close, so I know they sometimes do that for whatever reason. In Greystoke, it was because the director felt Mcdowell's accent sounded "too southern". It might be better for the story but it doesn't help the career of the actor who's being dubbed over by another actor!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greystoke:_The_Legend_of_Tarzan,_Lord_of_the_Apes

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The actress who plays Nomi is trans, so perhaps she's moulded her voice to be like Candis Cayne. I don't think they would have a big enough budget to dub someone throughout a whole series would they?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"The actress who plays Nomi is trans"

Aha! I had assumed she was born female and was just playing a transender role but I did do a quick search to verify that and didn't see anything saying that she was transgender....so I assumed she was just a good actress.

I guess that could explain the similarity in voices....Candis and "Nomi" both have a deeper tone than most women, just spoken more softly so it comes across as more feminine. Also, maybe she was raised in the same area as Candis so they have a similar accent....I do hear very similar inflections with certain words and patterns when Nomi speaks that remind me of Candis.

Btw, did you know that the "Wachowsky Brothers" are now actually brother and sister? Lana Wachowsky is also transgender and used to be Larry Wachowsky.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I did! I noticed their credit on the show now says "The Wachowskys," rather than the brothers too.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Their name is spelled Wachowski. . I nearly had heart failure when the German jewel thief's private parts were made public! Shocking fun!

Chitchat58

07-25-2008

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chitchat58 a private message Print Post    
Don't forget that Orange is the New Black season 3 returns on Friday the 12th. I'm so excited!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 10:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I tried it both ways but I guess I went with the wrong one!

Can't wait for OITNB.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 11:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Started watching Sense8 with my teen. Wowza! I think we'll be FF through the bed romping. I don't mean to be prude, but is it really necessary to show that in a sci-fi show?! I don't mind the cursing, but the pounding seems a bit over the top LOL. She liked the concept, so hopefully we can FF without missing much.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 11:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Brenda, be careful when you get to episode 6.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 6:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the warning SanFran! I guess next time I need to do a bit of homework before saying "let's watch this new show together" to my teen.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 7:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
It's almost "Orange time" get your snacks ready, get safely home from work, get all comfy and BAM it's on.
P.S. If you don't get your chores done first..........NO NETFLIX for you and I do mean you !

Ranger2

08-08-2008

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ranger2 a private message Print Post    
2 more days until OITNB!!! Does anyone know what time it will be released?

I'm really enjoying sense8...and boy, episode 6 sure was something! I'm trying to make that show last until Friday...but I have to be done by Friday!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 10:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
OK, maybe I need to preview Ep 6. LOL. Before the Teen. And have a blindfold and ear plugs ready?

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
That was going to be my recommendation, Brenda, that you view that one by yourself. It has tons of nudity and also a scene with a torrential stream of F-bombs from one of the bad guys. I don't have children (just nieces/nephews), but I would shield a teenager, especially a younger teen, from this content - it's way too adult!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Orange is the New Black is UP!

(Yes, I know it's still Thursday, maybe they're working on Iceland time!)

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 3:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Looking forward to watching OITNB after work today. I know I will binge and "get 'em done ".

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 1:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I want to binge on Orange, but where I live it's waaayyyyy too gorgeous outside to binge on TV. So my binging will be late at night tonight and tomorrow night.

Sueby

11-18-2004

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sueby a private message Print Post    
It has been so hot for so long here I was thinking I would never have time to watch OITNB. Woke up this morning to rain and predicted for all weekend. Yay. Only on the second episode but I really missed these girls!

Ranger2

08-08-2008

Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 6:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ranger2 a private message Print Post    
I recently finished watching Wentworth. Season 1 and 2 are on Netflix, and Season 3 just ended...they had the shows on youtube. This is a prison show based in a womens prison..much darker and grittier than OITNB. It's an Australian show, and it was SO good! The season finale of season 3 had my heart racing. Excellent series.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Oh I loved Wentworth but I cant get season 3 yet in the USA on Net flix....are all the episodes on U tube? Or has it been released yet...

Ranger2

08-08-2008

Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ranger2 a private message Print Post    
Season 3 isn't on netflix yet. The best site I found for season 3 is dailymotion.com. in the search bar I typed in wentworth S03 E01 (that is season 03 episode 01) the videos posted by Leena tereu are the ones I watched. Season 3 was so exciting...each episode got better and the finale...just awesome! Hopefully this will work for you.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I had "movie night" with a friend last night and my plan was to get him to watch the first episode of Sense8 and like it enough to continue watching on subsequent movie nights....usually a couple times per month. He's kind of picky when it comes to TV and movies so I wasn't sure he'd even like it.

I started the first episode and he was immediately hooked! LOL Instead of watching a couple of eps with a plan to watch a couple more each movie night until we were finished....we wound up extending movie night by 2 extra hours and we wound up watching the first EIGHT episodes back to back! And now he plans to try to tweak his schedule to find a way to move up our next movie up closer than a couple or 3 weeks.

I think this show is perfect for binge watching. I just can't imagine trying to watch these 12 episodes in one hour a week installments like "normal" TV. It has wonderful momentum and it would be a shame to see an episode end and then have to wait a week for the next one.

Not every episode ends with typical "cliffhanger" but each one makes me care even more about the characters than I already did so I feel compelled to keep watching.

Watching this for the second time this month, I have discovered so many details I'd missed before. The first time I saw it I never realized that:

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
When Lito was getting overly emotional and started crying in a scene when he wasn't supposed to and then having temper tantrums (and stomach cramps) in the car....it was because he was sharing the experience of Sun's period! The scene that followed the one when Sun was in the bathroom holding a tampon (in Korea) was Lito in the make up chair on the set (in Mexico City), looking in a mirror and saying "I look bloated". It was just one of those things that I totally missed in my first viewing and it totally explained Lito's sudden change in behavior. The poor guy had no idea why he was suddenly feeling the way he did.

This is really a great show with a truly interesting set of disparate characters and lots of subtle foreshadowing that just went over my head in my first viewing.

A friend I recommended this to started watching it and wound up watching the first 9 episodes the first day and finished it the next. Then he watched it with his sister....and he just told me two days ago that he actually watched it a third time! Another friend of mine took my advice to check out the first episode and wound up watching all 12 eps in two days, too.

I wish I could find the discipline to save up the entire upcoming season of Leftovers (a favorite of mine) and then binge watch them all at once, but I doubt I can muster than kind of resolve...AND not hear any spoilers in the meantime.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Thanks SF for the info.... and Ranger, Thank you too....I am going to look it up or just wait for Net Flix.... I got hooked so bad on Wentworth...

Vickie

07-16-2004

Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
Season 3 of Death in Paradise is on Netflix now. Just a heads up.