TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Indian Summers on Masterpiece (PBS)...

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Indian Summers on Masterpiece (PBS) users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Is anyone else watching this? There have been two episodes so far. It's fascinating. Colonial India during the time of Ghandi. The British are starting to lose their grip on the country. They were so horrible to the Indian natives, basically enslaved them in order to line their own pockets.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Here's a review that calls it Downton Abbey with a twist. It's already been renewed for a second seaon.

http://tv.blogs.starnewsonline.com/15462/review-indian-summers-puts-a-twist-on-upstairsdownstairs-themes/

Roteach

06-01-2003

Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I'm watching. So far so good. They had to shoot in Malaysia since the places they wanted to film in India had become too developed. They producers say that the story has a five year arc and that's it.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I read that it would be a 5 season arc, covering the years from 1932 (current season) to 1947, the year of Indian Independence. I guess they'll do like DA did and have several years between seasons.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 9:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
They also said that the little boy Adam features prominently in the later seasons. I like the characters so far but I still have to totally figure out who fits with whom. Does anyone know if this show is based on a book or a series of books?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I looked on Amazon and couldn't find a book that this was based on. The DVDs come out Oct. 13th already. Must have shown in the UK some months ago.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
This show is really difficult to watch. The horrible injustice of the British treating the Indian nationals like animals. Much like what happened here with our own native Americans. So hard to watch. I want to cry the whole time.

I think Alice is falling in love with Aafrin. He's awfully handsome!

I wonder what the story is with the little boy Adam? Ralph seemed to recognize the bracelet he was wearing.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 6:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
The only thing I know about Adam is that an article said that he'd be an important figure in the independence movement in the future.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Looks like you and I are the only ones watching this show, Roteach! Good thing it's on PBS, or I'd worried about it being canceled.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Keep seeing this thread pop up so I thought I'd take a look and see what it's about. Sounds very interesting, I'll have to check my local listings and hope the episodes I've missed are available On Demand. Thanks!!

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 7:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
I am enjoying this show but like you Babyjax I find it hard to watch...yes like we treated our Native Americans. I am not sure if I will continue due to that.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
So interesting about the "untouchables." What a horrible thing to have someone considered "less than" just because of who they are. I couldn't figure out how the other Indians could tell they were untouchables. Was it by their clothes? I guess that attitude still exists today (like racism in our own country, I guess). So sad.

Looks like Adam is Ralphie's son. Wow. Didn't see that coming. Poor Madeleine is going to get her heart broken.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: