TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 29, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Walking Dead: Walking Dead TV Show Discussions: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 29, 2015 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, I think they must have been isolated, they were a group of people who tried to get out of town straight away it got bad (they met in that big traffic jam we saw in flashback once), so didn't stay at home with sick or dying friends. And I guess like all flus, it doesn't affect everyone or doesn't affect them the same way, and they were lucky enough not to get too ill by it.

Jenner told Rick at the end of Season 1 (Day 5 after Rick wakes up). Then some find out for sure when Randall and Shane reanimate just before the fall of the farm on Day 22, then when they meet up on the highway on Day 23 Rick tells them all. The only deaths in that period were Otis, who was left behind, so no one knew if he turned, and Dale who was shot in the head by Darryl to stop his suffering.

I agree the FearTWD people don't know for sure, but they seem to suspect, and will have good enough information soon to know. And like you say, with so many more people they have so much more information.

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    
20 more days to new season! 😛

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
wahoooo!!!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 8:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Thanks Kitt!
20 more days, yippee. But I'm a little anxious. That new show Badlands starts Nov 15. I hope that doesn't mean we only get 5 episodes.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 9:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Nooo it's another eight eps now, eight eps later season.

I watched the end of season two yesterday... earlier I was talking about Hershel's people knowing the infection didn't just come from bites, but when Rick finally tells everyone they are all infected and will all turn when they die it's Beth who is the first to ask how that could be. I can't quite think a way round how that makes sense, because surely if her mother and stepbrother died of an illness but still turned then she would know a bite was nothing to do with it, but that's what she said. Might be a mistake in the writing or I might have misunderstood something.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Good to know. I can't remember exactly how Hershel said he lost them so I'm no help there.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 10:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It was Season 2 episode 2, if you have a chance to rewatch, when Hershel tells Rick about the farm. Rick says how lucky they were, isolated on the farm, and Hershel says "We weren't completely unscathed. We lost friends, neighbours. The epidemic took my wife, my stepson." I took that to mean an illness (and therefore likely the "flu" they talk about in FearTWD) but perhaps he meant that they were bitten. Seems an odd way to phrase it, though, if that were so.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 1:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I just tried something that worked very well. I asked Mr. Google. He knows pretty much everything in the universe.:-)

I used this as my search string:

how did hershel's wife die on walking dead?

And I found this page for Annette Greene, Hershel's wife:
http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Annette_Greene

That's where I found this:

"Post-Apocalypse

Sometime after the initial outbreak, Annette was killed by walkers along with her son Shawn. Before their initial reanimation however, Hershel placed them both inside of the barn to roam freely."

And also this further down the page:

"Killed By Zombies (Alive)

Annette and her son were both bitten and infected by walkers when they arrived back at the farm. Over a period of time, she becomes a walker and is taken to the barn. "

-------
The two blurbs of info (above) seem to contradict one another regarding whether or not she had turned before being taken to the barn, but I'll accept it anyhow and chalk it up to a typo or something. I can't imagine Hershel putting her in the barn before she turned!

Anyhow, this seems to fit with what he told Rick...he said he "lost" her, but he didn't say she "died".
----
My own conjecture:

When Hershel said "epidemic", I think he was referring to what he thought was the "disease" that the "sick" carried and transmitted to others when after they went crazy and bit someone. If she had been bitten she would've become sick for awhile and then turned sometime later. She and her son may have died overnight so Hershel might never have seen them go from sick...to dead...to walker. He could've just seen her sick that night and then up and about as a walker ("crazy sick") the next morning.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The wiki page doesn't say where they got that from though, I'm up to the end of season two and the "epidemic" is the only mention of their demise. I probably won't rewatch season 3 onwards until the end of this coming half season, but maybe they mention it again.

I did wonder if "epidemic" referred to the zombie virus, I suppose it could, it's just a very odd way to say it. If the pair had been out shopping or wherever and had come back bitten, I'd have thought he would have described it in a more "it was terrifying" kind of way. Plus it's quite hard, without back up, to get away from walkers once they've bitten you, more likely you'd be ripped apart and eaten.

I kind of think the person who wrote the wiki made it up, and it was more likely two bits of storyline that didn't quite gel, that the writers didn't notice at the time. I mean, the way Hershel is, he wouldn't have accepted they were going to be walkers until there were right there zombying at him, so it really seems unlikely he'd have put them in the barn before they turned. The "just a scratch" but then slowly sicken and die could work though. Just seems odd.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 5:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I did wonder if "epidemic" referred to the zombie virus, I suppose it could"

I'm thinking Occam's Razor. The simplest, most obvious answer is usually the correct one. Chances are they just got bit, got sick and then "went crazy" and were put in the barn.

Hershel was in denial....he just saw an epidemic, not a zombie apocalypse. Seeing folks get sick, turn crazy, bite others who in turn got sick and went crazy was more than enough evidence to support Hershel' contention that it was just an illness, an epidemic. He had no frame of reference because we know that TWD universe never had any zombie lore.

It just seems to me that all the ideas about how the virus works and is transmitted and where it came from just complicates a simple story with rich, complicated characters. If they can create a world with walking dead cannibals, they can just make it come from some kind of virus that has properties unlike the ones we know about in the real world.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, makes sense. Why I was so interested in it was that in FearTWD (which I am about to talk about, so please ignore if you're not up to date on it!) many kids were away from school because of a mysterious flu.

Online some sources are saying the flu was just an excuse people (mostly parents of school kids) used to stay home, because they heard the odd reports on the news, and felt safer with the kids at home (i.e. there was no flu). Others (me) are saying it was a real flu, and was presumably the virus that gave everyone the ability to be reanimated upon death.

If Hershel, back in early TWD timeline also spoke about a flu (although he just called it an epidemic), it's further evidence that the flu in FearTWD was a real illness.

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Friday, September 25, 2015 - 1:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    
A new promo!

http://www.amc.com/shows/the-walking-dead/video-extras/a-look-at-season-6-the-walking-dead?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=look_ahead&utm_campaign=TWD-Insiders-Club-09-25-2015

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Friday, September 25, 2015 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Friday, September 25, 2015 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    
And looks like Carol has a new bad azz weapon of choice!

Lol

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, September 25, 2015 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Carol looks like Jamie lee Curtis in that pic

Vickie

07-16-2004

Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 8:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
Actually Carol had that knife in the last season. I and my husband were talking and she pulled that out and we said good choice. The pull back is just as important as stabbing them in that you don't want your hand slipping off. LOL! The show was on we don't sit around just talking about this stuff. You don't want to lose your weapon.

Vickie

07-16-2004

Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 8:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
Oops I meant to also say she looks real sinister in the picture. Looks like she plans on using the blade.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOL Vickie, isnt it funny how conversations go when watching this show? At work a group of us were talking and a non watcher walked by and looked shocked at our convo hahaha

Vickie

07-16-2004

Monday, September 28, 2015 - 3:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
Got my season pass for the walking dead season 6. Looks like there should be a little of everything for everyone.

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Monday, September 28, 2015 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    
I'm scared for my favorite character from this new trailer

http://www.amc.com/shows/the-walking-dead/video-extras/official-comic-con-trailer-the-walking-dead-season-6

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, September 28, 2015 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOst, I think I know who you are talking about and Sanfran broke down the video and proved its not who we thought it was :-)

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, September 28, 2015 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
rewatched that video and 4 min of WD is better than 3 hrs of FWD!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
My goodness!
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/j

Btw your welcome! Lol

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    
Pamy .....

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
it looks again like poor Daryl is alone and trapped by himself again in the previews..... I'm sure he won't die this season, being people have threatened to stop watching if he is killed off. LOL

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    
I too agree Pamy..... FWD has been way too slow and it's not as good quality of a story compared to TWD