TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
The Shannara Chronicles on MTV

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Shannara Chronicles on MTV users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Anyone? Elves, demons, druids? Filmed in New Zealand? Kinda loved it.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 7:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Did you ever read the books, Babyjaxmom? I was wondering how the show compared to the books.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, January 08, 2016 - 1:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I never heard of these books until I read that this was a series based on books. Now I want to read the books. I'm in a book drought since I finished the Outlander books (God knows when her next one will come out--she's almost as slow as George RR Martin!).

I really enjoyed the show though. Can't wait for the next episode.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Friday, January 08, 2016 - 1:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I think I was in high school, maybe a year or two after, when I read them. My father in law read them a couple years ago and I realized there were more books in the series than when I read them. The books were pretty good. I saw the previews for the show, but didn't get the chance to see it yet. I'll have to look for it when it's back on (I know they repeat a lot.)

Sportsfan

09-03-2007

Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sportsfan a private message Print Post    
I loved the two hour premiere! Very Lord of the Rings!

This is my fav new show in a long time, I can hardly wait until Tuesday for the next episode.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I just happened across it yesterday and enjoyed it. I admit I usually don't give a show like this more then 10 minutes but I'll be tuning in for the next episode.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, January 11, 2016 - 1:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Yes, it reminded me a lot of Lord of the Rings, crossed with Avatar. And also filmed in New Zealand! Really enjoying this.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 5:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Heads up, Babyjaxmom, or anyone thinking about reading the books, or anyone who has read them and is thinking about watching the show.

I am about an hour into the show and was confused so had to go searching. The TV show is based on the second book, The Elfstones of Shannara, of the original trilogy, not the first book The Sword of Shannara. So if you decide to read the books, keep it in mind. The Sword of Shannara, the first book in the series, follows Wil's grandfather (in the show it's his dad) Shea and Flick, Allanon, and er, Eventine? (the elven king.)

So far I'm enjoying the tv show. It's pretty good up to this point.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I found this online a week or so ago. It's a list of all the books and what order they should be read in. Haven't read any of them yet, but have downloaded the first one to my Kindle.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/99160-shannara---terry-s-suggested-order-for-new-readers

I'm really enjoying this show. Such fun!!!

Wargod

07-16-2001

Friday, January 15, 2016 - 12:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I've read through (and have them boxed up right now) The Talismans of Shannara, the fourth Heritage book. My fil dropped off several of the later ones, but to read those, I'd have to dig out the first 7 and do a re-read of the entire series.

I need to watch this weeks episode, haven't had time for that yet. Plus I'm thinking of making Darren watch it, he should enjoy it and maybe he'll get the itch to read the books, lol.

Noellepv

03-04-2010

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Noellepv a private message Print Post    
Wargod, how many books in the serues, I think I counted 33!

Whoami

08-02-2001

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
I may have to try and check this show out. I am a big Terry Brooks fan. But mostly cause of his series The Magic Kingdom of Landover. I know I enjoyed the Landover series, so tried to get into the Shannara series. But it was so confusing with so many books, and so many "trilogies" amongst the list. I never got around to figuring it out.

I've told this story before in the books section, but have to tell it again. I kinda met Terry Brooks, if you call seeing him at a book signing a meeting. It was with the release of The Tamgle Box, part of the Landover series. He had a book signing in a nearby town, so I decided to go and get the book and have it signed for Mom on Mother's Day. I remember standing in line (which was already out the door when I first started standing there), and the bookstore employees going down the line handing out scraps of paper. We were instructed to write down what we wanted written in the book signing. Obviously, their intention was to move the line along as quickly as possible.

As I looked around, I noticed that fans had brought huge stacks of his other books, obviously intending to have him sign them all. I remember thinking that was pretty rude and selfish of these people, to demand so much individual time with the author. Didn't they know he was there to sell his newest Landover book? Not to sign everyone's collections of Landover and Shannara books?

I finally get into the room where the author was sitting, and had plenty of time to watch him as he interacted with each fan. There was none of the "sign, now move along, there's a line behind you" attitude. As each person stood in front of him, I watched him look them in the eye, carry on conversations about his books, about the fan's aspiring writing careers, etc. As each fan stood before them, there was nobody else in the room for this author. It was all about that individual fan at that moment in time. And he signed each and every book that fan presented to him.

I remember being impressed with his patience and graciousness. I had my scrap of paper, and had written some sort of quick note, "To Moo. Happy Mother's Day." Or something like that. He read the scrap of paper, asked me my name, and then wrote his own note on it, ending with "Happy Mother's Day from Marianne and me."

So, needless to say. Terry Brooks is a class act. I will definitely check out this series if I can locate it on Hulu or something!

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
LOL, Noelle, I just checked Goodreads to see how many there are and they have them broken down into different categories (Shannara publication dates, chronological order, Terry's reading order, Terry's reading order revised) and each one has a different # of books listed! Anywhere from 28-33 books.

I was also just checking amazon to see how much the kindle books are and they're pretty pricey (considering how many books are in the series.) I'll have to keep an eye on those though, see if they go on sale at some point. And should check out which ones my fil sent over to see what he gave me too.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 4:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I posted a link above that shows all the books and the order they should be read (according to the author). I counted 33 books. Wow.

I'm struggling with the first one, The Sword of Shannara. Having trouble getting into it. It reminds me a lot of the Hobbit, off on a quest.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Friday, January 29, 2016 - 6:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Babyjaxmom, it's been a long time since I read them, but if I remember right, all the ones I read were kinda the same. Typical sword & sorcery off on a quest fantasy.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: