TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Frequency on The CW

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Frequency on The CW users admin

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 1:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Anyone catch "Frequency" on the CW tonight?

Love it! Another time travel show! But this one is just verbal time travel...it's based on the movie of the same name that came out in 2000.

In this version of the story the daughter can talk to her father via ham radio even though he died 20 years earlier. The father's timeline is a "parallel timeline" set 20 years in the past. When they talk it's the same date for both of them, only 20 years earlier for the father who is dead in the present.

For example, when they're talking to each other on the ham radio, if it's the daughter's 8th birthday in the father's timeline, it's the grown up daughter's 28th birthday in her timeline.

I want to comment on a comparison of both new time travel shows, "Timeline" and "Frequency" so if you haven't yet seen both premieres, this is a spoiler:

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
Frequency has a time travel "rule" that's pretty much the exact opposite of the time travel "rule" in Timeless!

On Timeless when they went back in time and made a change, the people who changed history remember the original history, but when they came back to the present they didn't remember their own history that had been altered because of what they did in the past.

On Frequency, when the daughter spoke to her father who is 20 years in the past, he acted on information she told him and it changed 20 years of her history. However, when the past changed, at the exact moment in her "parallel timeline" the daughter suddenly remembered a lifetime of differences in her own past.....and she remembers BOTH her original history AND her new history that was created after that pivotal moment was altered in the past.

This is an excellent example of how sci-fi and horror themes often have their own unique "rules". In this case it's a difference in how changing something in the past is perceived in the present in Timeless vs Frequency. In vampire movies, some shows have one set of rules for vampires that are very different in another vampire story - such as True Blood vs The Strain.

Anyhow, we've got another fun series with a time travel type theme...although the only thing that "time travels" on Frequency is conversation.

Here's some info on Frequency if you haven't heard of it. I had forgotten all about it until the last minute tonight so I was able to set the tivo!

Frequency

A police detective in 2016 discovers that she is able to speak via a ham radio with her estranged father; Frank Sullivan, a detective who died in 1996 and the two must work together to change the history of tragic events to come while also getting the chance to heal their complicated relationship.

----------
[Well, this is funny - I just saw this (below) for the first time:]
----------

"Did You Know?

Trivia
"Frequency", created by Jeremy Carver, is one of two new shows for the 2016 fall season that is created by a previous showrunner for Supernatural (2005). The other is Timeless (2016), co-created by Eric Kripke. Both new series involve changing the timeline."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5531470/?ref_=nv_sr_1

-----------

It's funny that two different ex-showrunners from Supernatural would each create different time travel shows that air concurrently but have different time travel "rules"!

Anyhow, I recommend it.

Oh yeah....episode 2 (titled "Signal and Noise") airs on Wednesday, Oct 12, but episode 1 (titled "Pilot") re-airs on Friday, Oct 14 in case you missed it!

It's regular night seems to be Wednesdays.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 8:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I saw an ad pop up on a different station so I have it sitting on the pvr to watch. I'm looking forward to it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 9:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I vaguely remember the movie. Sounds interesting.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I also remember a movie with a similar scenario but I can't remember which movie.

I happened to scroll the channels and noticed the title of the premiere episode and thought it was an old series but I watched it and I enjoyed it, although the theme seemed too deja vu for me but I programmed to record the next 2 episodes and see if they remain enough interesting for me.

I usually don't like when they want to makes us think it's possible to change the future and she is now confused with two realities and as a viewer it will confuse me even more.

I think we watch anything that moves on tv because we have the means to speed up the show or delete it right away and so we think it wasn't a waste of time. If we didn't have these gadgets that makes us tape everthing we wouldn't be watching a lot of tv shows.

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, October 07, 2016 - 4:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I loved this. I actually liked it more than Timeless.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Friday, October 07, 2016 - 7:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
LOL... I remembered the movie, of course, it was titled "Frequency" and the actor was Jim Caviezel (Person of Interest, The Passion, etc.) I love that actor and I remembered the movie because of him. So this series is based on that movie by the same title.

I didn't like Timeless and dumped that show already.

Scout

01-19-2005

Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 6:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
For me, the draw for this show was just the idea of being able to talk to someone again that you loved and lost. And I like most anything involving time travel.
This one seemed a little more plausible (time-travel wise) because anything she did could change everything about her future whereas in Timeless you have to believe that no matter what they change there will always be the place that built the machine to return to.
It's always fun to debate the rules of time travel - but I kind of like how each show sets their own rules.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
missed that was on. To me, Friday is a znation night, heh.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 8:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I was so happy to find this show on Netflix as I couldnt get it on the channel it comes on with regular tv. Like Scout, I love the idea of being able to reach into the past and talk to someone you loved and lost. This show moved along quite fast and covered a lot of territory with its first episode!

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 7:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Frequency, the movie, is one my favorites. The Aurora Borealis is what allowed John and Frank to communicate in that one. 30 years was the gap in the movie.

Frequency, the new TV show, looks like it will be keeper for me. I think it's just lightning hitting the antenna that allows them to communicate in this one, and it's just a 20 year gap.

In the movie, John could remember both time lines, so I suppose that's why they kept that 'rule' in the series for Raimy.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Looky_lou

05-07-2011

Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 8:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Looky_lou a private message Print Post    
The movie is also one of my favorites. It struck a chord with me because I lost my dad when I was very young and would give anything for a chance to talk to him. The TV show seems to be following fairly closely to the movie except the dad's story. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 10:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I am sure they have a complete timeline, but it is hard to imagine the need to talk to her father as people appear and disappear in her life. I don't see a long future of reasonable plots. Maybe it is just my lack of emotion, this show was good, the next one , I don't know.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, October 10, 2016 - 1:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I'd guess they try to change something so the mother won't be killed 30 years before...but that change will affect something else.

At least that's what always happens when Stewie and Brian go on an adventure in Stewie's time machine on Family Guy!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: