TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 27, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : ARCHIVES: Archive through December 27, 2016 users admin

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
LOVED the GG Revival...and I too want more!!!!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 9:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Can the GG be enjoyed on it's own if you don't watch the original?

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Just finished watching The Crown. Can't WAIT for the next season!!

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
Kappy - it's good tv but there are several homages to the series as well as things that are total opposite from the series. You could try it to see how you like it. The first episode, Winter, had me crying throughout but that's because there were a lot of references to a character from the series.

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
Below are some links to articles about the Gilmore Girls Revival episodes and ending. I'm putting it in a spoiler box just in case.

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
http://www.hollywood.com/tv/why-our-generation-is-struggling-with-the-end-of-gilmore-girls-and-why-thats-okay-60665151/

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
http://www.today.com/popculture/more-gilmore-girls-see-what-cast-had-say-today-t105412

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, December 05, 2016 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I've begun watching Paranoid, a British series about detectives looking into the murder of a mother in the middle of a children's park. The case becomes much more complicated than originally thought. I haven't seen the best reviews on it but I'm enjoying.

PS - Thank you Scotch for the info on GG!

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Monday, December 05, 2016 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
Kappy, I just watched that 2 weekends ago. I enjoyed the story/mystery. However, I didn't think the acting was very good. I don't know if it was just me, though. I'll be interested to know what you think.

Have any of you watched Marcella? It's another BBC Netflix detective show. I thought it was good, and the acting was better than Paranoid. I'd love to pick someone's brain, though, because there was one part that never quite came together for me.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 2:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I started watching The Bletchley Circle last night on Netflix. It must have been a PBS show at some point. I really like it so far.

Set in 1952, "The Bletchley Circle" tells of four women who have returned to normal lives after working at Bletchley Park -- the site where the Germans' infamous "enigma cypher" was broken by British mathematicians and code breakers during World War II. One of them, Susan, notices a pattern to the murders of several women -- which is in the news -- but no one one else seems to have noticed the pattern. She speaks with the police about it but is not very successful, so she enlists the help of her former friends and fellow cryptographers to investigate the cases.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 6:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Thanks Grooch for the heads up............I will add to my "must watch list" With the Amazon Fire Stick I can now watch while laying in bed vs the ipad/imac.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, December 09, 2016 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Whrlwnd ~ I thought the cast was quite good for Paranoid and I did like it as a short series. What bothered me was the need to put so many fixations into the characters in such a short span from the one wanting a child to the one with the anxiety attacks. But they also blended into the various story lines as well so it all worked out.

I tried Marcella but it didn't click for me. I might give it another try.

The Bletchley Circle sounds good. I'm really enjoying having Netflix and catching all of these British series as some are very good.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 12:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
After watching the the Gilmore Girls new stuff, I decided to go back and watch the series from the beginning. I'm in season 3 and and I am seeing something I had totally forgotten! For a short time "Jessica (Sugar) Kiper" was part of the cast. She was on 2 seasons of Survivor, but her second season she was humiliatingly voted out first. On GG she played Jess' girlfriend, making Rory very jealous.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 7:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh that's kind of fun. I'll have to look at a picture and see if I recognize her.

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
Naja, was that Shane (Jess's girlfriend)? I just watched "They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?" last night and Shane is in that episode. Cool.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 9:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh that's Sugar! LOL - You even wrote her nickname and it still didn't click for me right away.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Yep, it was Shane. She was also in a few episodes leading up to the to that episode, Scotch.

Scout

01-19-2005

Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
A couple of episodes into the newest Netflix series, "The OA", and so far it's really intriguing. I don't have a clue how to describe it without giving anything away, but it's great mystery/sci-fi so far.
You really have no idea where it's going which keeps it really interesting.
There was one fairly explicit sex scene in the first episode, so definitely not for kids. Wish they wouldn't add those - it added nothing at all to the story.

Even though it's not the same plot at all, it has a similar vibe to Stranger Things, which I absolutely loved. Hopefully, it keeps up the suspense as well as that series did.

Scout

01-19-2005

Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Episode three is making me change my mind about the series. Don't think I want to finish it after all.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Scout, I'm three episodes in with The OA and I could take it or leave it. Part of me is thinking she may be just recruiting new test subjects and I'm not sure I want to watch that.

The explicit sex scene in the first episode was so uncalled for and unnecessary. Is that really the only way they felt they could sell it to the teen crowd?

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Kappy - i'm glad to hear you feel similar about the series.
If I had kids at home, I'm not sure I would even have Netflix.

It seems like they think they have to throw in all the sex scenes to compete with other networks like HBO. It was totally unnecessary and definitely didn't add anything to the storyline at all.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Since I cut the cord from cable, I've been using Netflix to catch up on all the PBS series that people raved about but I was too tired to watch.

I've enjoyed some of the other Netflix series but I'm not sure about this one. I realized in the 4th episode that there's not one happy or normal family. There's such a depressed premise at the base of it all that it makes it hard to watch.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 4:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
has anyone seen the Netflix movie The African Doctor? What a wonderful family movie about an African Dr. (duh) who relocates his family to a small village in France...some funny scenes some touching scenes....oh and its a true story

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I finished watching OA and all I could think was that there had better be a second season! I found it interesting overall to watch. A show that I could not predict what comes next! Looked it up on IMDB and was very surprised to see the star co wrote it!

Rvon

12-11-2003

Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
I just finished watching the first season of Medici: Master of Florence. I certainly hope there is a Season 2 because it was very good. They didn't tie up all the loose ends, so fingers crossed for Season 2.

Today I watched Season 1 of Blechtley Circle -- another great show!

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Bletchly Circle was very interesting especially in light of its very real historical significance. I heard there are plans to make the actual spot a museum of some sort.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I really liked the OA. I was sucked in. I hope there is a season 2!