TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
2017 Academy Awards/Oscars

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: 2017 Academy Awards/Oscars users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 26, 2017Texannie63 02-26-17  10:14 pm
Archive through February 26, 2017Seamonkey25 02-26-17  11:25 pm
Archive through February 27, 2017Jimmer25 02-27-17  2:09 pm
Archive through February 28, 2017Cass_cat25 02-28-17  5:05 pm
Archive through March 02, 2017Kookliebird25 03-02-17  9:16 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well obviously one of the major problems with this was that the error is so public. I've seen accountants make mistakes before but not on stage in front of 30 million plus people. Put that spreadsheet up there! The thought makes me smile and grimace at the same time.

Yes the Academy and PWC should and will do whatever it takes to lessen the damage to their reputation.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Discussion is great.. insistence that one's opinion is wrong, lacking grace, that one must just shrug off someone slacking off and when it just becomes circular.. time for me to leave others to their enjoyment.

I just grew up around a CPA and accuracy is advertised and expected.

I see that this was probably considered a plumb assignment given to very senior employees. I don't know why the other half of the team is now banished.

But for the firm, this is a job that has brought the firm publicly, put their name out there to a diverse audience.. they hope to keep this job. If they just said "shit happens, aww, this could happen to anyone, nobody died, you aren't perfect, so stop being so critical".. I think that might not help them to keep the job.

Science isn't as forgiving as art.

Anyway, these two lost a gig that was probably one that hundreds of their co-workers would be happy to do, even without tweeting, they still have jobs, nobody died because they were punished..

I guess an employer isn't allowed to have rules or requirements and expect them to be followed.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, agree , I fainted over my cupcake. :>:-)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Actually they have apologized. And no one is insisting that anyone change their minds. We are just expressing our own views. If that's difficult to hear, well as was pointed out it is a discussion board. We discuss.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
JMO, but I think when it is posted, "get over it, enuf said, move along nothing to see here" unless they are being sarcastic it puts an end to any discussion. Like I said JMO

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
There is no putting an end to a discussion (as long as it is relevent to the thread topic, of course). Everyone is always welcome to continue to post about and discuss any issue. That's how it works here. :-)

Abby7

07-17-2002

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 10:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
:>:-)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yes, you are free to walk away when YOU are done, but others are free to talk as long as they want to.

Just because someone is saying they think there is nothing to see, does not mean you have to stop discussing it. It just means that is THEIR opinion.

So, let them have theirs, and you can still have yours. Simple enough, right? :-)

Abby7

07-17-2002

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Karuuna...wth? Please stop.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think you're misunderstanding, Abby.

Kar's explaining how everyone is welcome to post. :-)

Abby7

07-17-2002

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Ty Jiimmer...may be so.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm sure it's so. Anyway, unless Kar has something further to say on this (she may want to explain further), we better get back on topic. I wouldn't want to have to moderate myself.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Abby, not sure what you are questioning, but I was responding to Seamonkey's post above... that I wasn't trying to stop anyone from expressing their opinion, or that they were wrong. Just expressing my own, and that others were free to express theirs.

I'm not sure what was wrong with that? Or why it needed to be stopped. It was simply clarifying that all are welcome, and if something makes you uncomfortable, (you in GENERAL) you should be the one to walk away. That's all.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Ty for the clarification, . I get it now...

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I agree it's a much bigger deal than Miss Universe. Plus the Oscars are very full of themselves. No lack of ego there. Anyway, no question that the accountants should have apologized (profusely) and explain what they will do to prevent this from ever happening again. I just think that not inviting them back is pretty harsh, especially since the mistake was caught quite quickly. If the show had gone off the air without the correction, that would have been another story. As it was, it generated lots of buzz and that is a big part of that business.

There's a whole lotta other accounting firms for the academy to choose from. Error caught quickly? Ultimately it was the director / producer of La La Land who announced the true winner to the audience and millions of viewers.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 1:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well it might have been better if one of the accountants had immediately come on stage and made some sort of announcement. Hard to say though. Then they might have been accused of being publicity hounds and going for drama. I kind of think they were toast no matter what.

At this point, I think everyone is trying to cover their butts as best they can. They usually look for a fall guy in these situations and it's pretty obvious who it was that didn't produce the right envelope. As the meme goes, you had one job ....

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I think it's wrong that they are receiving death threats and now need protection

Rosie

11-12-2003

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
who is threatening them scooterrific?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Death threats are a little extreme. That's nuts!

I agree, though, with those who said this was a plum job and it was a privilege for the two partners (PARTNERS in a very prestigious firm--why would they have jeopardized their positions by tweeting while they were working?!). Their lack of attention to their jobs has put their firm's stellar reputation at risk. They deserve to be removed. Hopefully PWC will remain with the Oscars and someone else will be in charge of the envelopes next year.

This was a pretty big flub. I don't think they deserve to be shot, but I do agree that their plum assignment should be handed to someone more responsible next year.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Death threats are way too much. Brian Cullinan lose his job? He messed up big time which caused PWC to lose the highly visible job.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's an entertainment show, no one cheated or did anything deliberately malicious and the mistake was corrected in less than a couple of minutes. None of the people from either movie appeared visibly upset and the La La Land producer was very gracious.

Death threats? Seriously?

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I do not think he will lose his "day" job over this. However, I do think will probably be a reprimand of some sort internally. It's a bit harder to 'fire' a partner at an accounting firm. Partners are part owners. Now, if he signed financials ala Arthur Andersen and Enron.... then, he might get dumped from PWC.

From what I can tell, PWC did not lose the Academy job. They just don't want those 2 back in that role. I read that PWC is pretty much entrenched in the Academy. PWC will just have 2 other Partners hand out the envelopes in the future... who will not tweet.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
why would they have jeopardized their positions by tweeting while they were working?!)

I"m sure they got caught up in the excitement of the thing. It happens.

As I said, it's just not the kind of thing *I* can get all worked up about. Been in business a long time, small and large companies, even the best make mistakes. You apologize, fix them, move on. And then instill better systems to make sure it doesn't happen again, even though it only happened once in decades. :-)

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
IMO the more egregious issues with the Oscars that night were that Dev Patel did not win Best Supporting Actor, that Viola Davis did not win for Best Actress in a Leading Role vs Supporting thus allowing Michelle Williams a win for Manchester By The Sea and that Moonlight won for Best Picture as it most certainly was not. Neither was La La Land. I would have loved a Lion win and been happy with Fences or Manchester by The Sea. Hidden Figures was the most enjoyable.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't follow your comment about Viola Davis? I thought Emma Stone won Best Actress?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
The way Best Picture is chosen is a bit odd. It isn't which film receives the most votes (Bad Electoral College memories come to mind).
Academy voters rank the best pictures. If one film garners more than 50% of the vote, it is the winner. If not, the film that received the lowest # of 1st choice votes is removed and those ballots are redistributed to 2nd choices. The process repeats until a film has more than 50% of the vote.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yes Karuuna, Emma Stone did win Best Actress. I am saying she should not have, that Viola Davis should have been in that category, not the Supporting Role category and Viola should have won the Lead Actress award.

It is beyond me that a clumsy dancer and mediocre singer can be nominated for let alone win a major award for a musical. I happen to quite like Ms. Stone, but think she was out of her league in this role.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 6:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Thanks for clarifying, that makes sense.

I don't know how they decide what is a leading versus supporting role though.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I think the studios/producers submit actors for the categories they think they can win re featured or supporting roles. There is often some controversy involved. I remember a couple years ago some discussion/talk/noise that J.K. Simmons' role in Whiplash probably wasn't supporting but rather a lead role. He did win the Oscar for a supporting actor in Whiplash. The character he played wasnot a nice man by any stretch. To this day I am a bit ashamed at how attractive I found that character. I also had a bit of an attraction to Tony Soprano. Very weird to me as I don't go for the "bad boys" in real life.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 9:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I agree Sugar about Viola Davis. That was not a supporting role. It really irks me when they do that. She should have been in the Best Actress category and should have won it. That would have opened up supporting role to be won but someone who really was in a supporting role!

AS for best pic, I really had a hard time this year. I think Lion is memorable and so is Manchester by the Sea. Either one of those would probably have gotten a cheer from me. But nothing really stood out as a solid leader to me.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 03, 2017 - 8:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Reminds me of the Golden Globe Awards when The Martian won for Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy.

Now The Martian was a fine film and I enjoyed it but it was neither a Musical nor a Comedy.

(Though I do love watching the Golden Globe Awards.)

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, March 03, 2017 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I used to enjoy the Golden Globes but stopped watching the last few years as they seemed erratic with choices and wins. Nor can I tolerate Ricky gervase or Amy Poehler as I find them annoying and not funny. Some time ago there was a 3 way tie with Jodie Foster, Shirley MacClaine and Sigourney Weaver for Best Actress and Richard Mulligan, Michael J Fox and Judd Hirsch won for Best Actor TV Comedy. It is disappointing to know you lost
to 4 people let alone being the 1 or 2 that didn't win.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 03, 2017 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Wow.. musical or comedy.. yeah.. the character had a sense of humor but it was certainly not a comedy.

Their system sounds really strange..

I came back to say as always I am appalled when people are threatened over things like this.. that is crazy and just wrong.

One of the organizations where I am a volunteer driver is the Jewish Federation and Family Services here in Orange County. I don't get to drive often for them because I'm usually committed already when they ask, but I've been very very impressed with all of their services within and outside the Jewish community here and they have been part of reaching out to the Muslim community here, along with Christians, in brother and sisterhood. They also handed over keys to one synagogue when a mosque was damaged awhile back.

And this week when there were bomb threats across the country on Jewish locations, here in Irvine the Meritage Community Center and a nearby school had to be evacuated due to bomb threats.

Again, just crazy and wrong.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: