TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 08, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : ARCHIVES: Archive through May 08, 2017 users admin

Gldnlvr

08-03-2007

Friday, April 21, 2017 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gldnlvr a private message Print Post    
After many years, i finally started watching Shameless. This is now my guilty pleasure for the summer! I can't stop laughing and I couldn't love William H. Macy any more than I do now!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, April 21, 2017 - 9:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am watching season 2 episode 5 of Offspring. Overall I like the series but I really want to knock some sense into Nina. Lust and love are different, she and Chris never had time together.

I thought I was the queen of over imaginative scenarios in my head, I have been thoroughly dethroned. That Nina out imagines even Walter Mitty.

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Friday, April 21, 2017 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
There was a Netflix documentary called Hot Girls Wanted that dealt with sex and technology- they expanded it to a series called Hot Girls Wanted: Turned On. Episode two deals with Tinder and other dating apps- and the focus is on James Rhine. If that name sounds familiar, that is because he was on BB6 and BB All-Stars many years back....And he really doesn't come out of this looking good.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 12:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Wilson, thanks for the tip about the James Rhine episode. I just watched it (very well done) and I kept thinking that one of these days he's going to have a "Fatal Attraction" mess on his hands. I never liked him on BB and I like him even less after watching this documentary. I liked how BB was mentioned almost in passing and that they focused primarily on how poorly he treats his dates. I also learned what "ghosting" is. Dating apps were invented long after my dating days ended.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 12:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I also just finished watching it. I am thankful every day I got married before there was such a thing as dating apps. James was an ass back when he was on BB and he is still an ass more than 10 years later.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 6:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I've got to check that out. I haven't watched BB for years. But pretty sure I remember James Rhine. IIRC, he was kind of "scuzzy" to use a word from waaay back.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
James Rhine was in that original group of Janelle and Howie & co. of season 6... James betrayed them.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
He was also on All Stars. I think his girlfriend on season 6 was named Sarah, she was a sweet girl.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
And he betrayed them in all stars, too.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 12:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I am up to ep 4 of "The OA". It's nothing like I thought it would be. I'm really enjoying it.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I'm on Season two of Last Tango in Halifax. I like it!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, April 24, 2017 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Miz, that show is delightful - I totally agree. The creator of the show also created "Happy Valley" and wrote "Happy Valley's" main character (Catherine) specifically for the actress Sarah Lancashire because Ms. Lancashire did such a great job playing Caroline on LTIH.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, April 24, 2017 - 6:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I thought I recognized her from Happy Valley. I have only watched 3 episodes of Happy Valley but not sure I want to continue as I feel sorry for the guy who orchestrated the kidnapping then had a change of heart.

Same with Shameless , it's so sad and pathetic on so many levels, I feel ashamed to be entertained by it. I watched the 2 seasons and decided I wanted to watch something a little more up lifting.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, April 28, 2017 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I am really enjoying "The Handmaid's Tale". It's so good to see Elisabeth Moss again.

I have never read the book or seen the 80s movie, so it's all new to me. It's scary to think of a world where women have no rights and the only thing they are good for is childbearing. Sure, it seems "out there", but there are places on this earth where similar things happen.

Here's the synopsis for the series:

Adapted from the classic novel by Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale is the story of life in the dystopia of Gilead, a totalitarian society in what was formerly the United States. Facing environmental disasters and a plunging birthrate, Gilead is ruled by a twisted fundamentalism in its militarized ‘return to traditional values'. As one of the few remaining fertile women, Offred (Elisabeth Moss) is a Handmaid in the Commander’s household, one of the caste of women forced into sexual servitude as a last desperate attempt to repopulate the world. In this terrifying society, Offred must navigate between Commanders, their cruel Wives, domestic Marthas, and her fellow Handmaids – where anyone could be a spy for Gilead – all with one goal: to survive and find the daughter that was taken from her.

https://www.hulu.com/the-handmaids-tale

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 10:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Well crap. I thought they were going to release 3 eps a weeks like they did this first week, but they are only releasing 1 ep a week now. It's a total of 10 eps for the season.

I think I'll wait for a few to build up before I go back to watching.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, May 01, 2017 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Sugar, you'll continue to want to knock some sense into her. But it's still a great show. And I totally agree on imaginative scenarios. I'm right there on the couch next to you.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, May 01, 2017 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
New Blood!! Another brilliant British police drama. Love the chemistry btn the two main actors and there is plenty of humour.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am almost done with Offspring just a few episodes left for me to watch. I really liked Mick and Billie together so hope I see a reconciliation. I hope season 6 is available soon. I thought I saw something about it being filmed but kept seeing spoilers for me so stopped looking.

I will need a new show to binge soon. I am on an Australian and British/UK kick.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Sugar....Offspring was great! I too can't wait for season 6. I think they are even up to season 8 in Australia!

If you're looking for something else, try "Last Tango in Halifax" it's a British sitcom.

I just caught the first 2 episodes of Handmaid's Tale on Bravo, Naja is it also on Netflix?!! I'm addicted already!

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 6:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The only place I see Handmaid's Tale is Hulu. It's definitely not on Bravo here in the US.

Dlkuhn4

07-13-2002

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dlkuhn4 a private message Print Post    
I just find handmaid's tale and love it so far. Looking for a place to talk about seeing I don't get some of it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 9:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Dlkuhn4, you could talk about it here. Even though it says "netflix", we pretty much discuss all online streaming shows here.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, May 08, 2017 - 5:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
The Handmaid's Tale is something else. It's like a post-Trump, hard alt-right, mega-Christian cult world! I find it really scary especially in this day and age. Very timely.

Just an observation: I find this story "close to home" but some men I've spoken with don't feel as attached to the premise. I wonder if women find this story to be nightmarish because it's about us being oppressed, but since the men are the oppressors, they see the story to be a fantasy world.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, May 08, 2017 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I find myself going through a bit of Proudman withdrawal. I finished Offspring last week and need me some of the next season. I am a bit surprised as I find Nina indecisive and annoying albeit with a good heart. Billie and Mick ended up being my favorites and I thought they were both shallow in the beginning. I also like Phillip. Read a spoiler about Patrick's death and couldn't wait for him to be gone only to have her imagine him there for many more episodes. Nina and Patrick always seemed to be at odds unless they were horizontal so never really believed they had a great love story. Yes, Cherie is back.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, May 08, 2017 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
The Handmaid's tale is now 32 years old, written by Canadian Atwood and if you enjoyed it you may also want to check out the movie made in 1990 starring Natasha Redwood, Faye Dunaway and Robert Duvall. It wasn't award winning (the book was though!) but interesting to compare and to see how current culture affects the interpretation.