TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Mad Men

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Mad Men users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 26, 2012Beth4freedom25 03-26-12  4:53 pm
Archive through May 13, 2012Roblover25 05-13-12  8:23 pm
Archive through June 04, 2012Hummingbird25 06-04-12  7:30 pm
Archive through April 08, 2013Cablejockey25 04-08-13  12:51 pm
Archive through April 24, 2013Uncle_ricky25 04-24-13  3:39 pm
Archive through May 08, 2013Gurliegirl25 05-08-13  12:36 pm
Archive through May 20, 2013Hskrfan25 05-20-13  3:19 pm
Archive through June 10, 2013Hskrfan25 06-10-13  10:19 am
Archive through April 14, 2014Snoopsmom25 04-14-14  1:23 pm
Archive through May 19, 2014Hskrfan25 05-19-14  7:52 am
Archive through August 16, 2014Smokey25 08-16-14  7:46 pm
Archive through April 29, 2015Lakecat25 04-29-15  6:10 pm
Archive through May 12, 2015Naja25 05-12-15  2:32 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Donsgirl

08-01-2005

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Donsgirl a private message Print Post    
I noticed him but could not remember his name or where from.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I've always known that would be Betty's demise. The writers focused on her smoking throughout the series. I was beginning to think he was going to stay in that Okl town and work at the motel as a handy man, return to his roots as Dick.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
It was good.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
And they all live happily ever after. Blah.

Kc103

07-13-2004

Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kc103 a private message Print Post    
Wonder if they'd give any thought to reprising for a movie down the road at some point.

Roblover

05-17-2011

Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 10:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roblover a private message Print Post    
Was thinking after after watching finale if at the end Don is smiling when he was meditating because the idea for the famous Coke ad came to him and he went back to ad agency and pitched it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 11:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
That's exactly what I was thinking, Roblover. The hippie coke commercial was Don's future endeavor.

(I was like 5 years old when that commercial out, and I still remember it :-))

Roblover

05-17-2011

Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 11:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roblover a private message Print Post    
Naja, glad you thought of it too. I think that smile he gets was when the idea came to him. Anyway, that is my wish for his ending.

Did anyone catch the name of Joan's production company? I have watched it twice and it appears to be two names (she mentioned in the last episode about how a company needed two names)....I heard her last name, Holloway, but the other name sounds like Harris to me. Anyone know?

Mush

09-09-2002

Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 11:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mush a private message Print Post    
Loved the ending. Yes, Joan's company was Holloway / Harris -- her maiden and married names. So, she has her two names without a partner. Good for her!

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 11:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Joan's new company is "Holloway-Harris". Holloway is Joan's mother! LOL!

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 11:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
ooops, delete

Melfie1222

07-29-2002

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 12:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Melfie1222 a private message Print Post    
But they don't all live happily ever after in the end, they never did. It would have been too neat and old fashioned tv if everything had been tied up clean and happy. Yes, Peggy got a happy ending (which I didn't see coming at all, but loved it, it felt real and true and made me a little weepy and cheery at the same time - yay Peggy!) Joan didn't really, because while she's running her own business, her maybe-close-to-perfect guy left her because of it. Betty certainly doesn't live happily ever after, and her kids don't get to either, because of that. Even Don after his 'awakening' or whatever, is still at heart the same cynical a-hole he's always been. Turning what could have been a spiritual experience into an advertising jingle... vintage Don.

I thought it was great! :-) I will miss it.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
I was delighted that Joan walked away from the cocaine future that he represented of the 70s era, and will leave him penniless. Joan marched to her own tune and always had enough money. Why she stayed in the same apt. always made me curious, but money didn't move her....success did.

This past season showed more and more of Peggy and what was right before her eyes but the writers did a hurried job on that relationship.
Roger got what he needed...A tough mother figure that stood up to him toe to toe.
Betty was always a child, treated her children as adults to care for 'her' feelings. The sandwich sealed that for me. Only her feelings were hurt, putting her son down for giving away a second sandwich to another.

Pete wanted to be Don but he could never attain that through his slogging along, and his own ex realized the situation of being in the subs as her lost future, so it was an easy wrap.
We are left with Don and an anonymous man who brought light to his life in his story of being neglected as Don was brought up the same except that females were to be used for every relief known.

Don left the office after he realized he was cloned, and the company had a younger version of himself. Must have been a huge letdown to his ego, so off he went.
Don had the ability to read people and situations. That alone is, and was his claim to fame yet he didn't see it...until that moment.
As for the ending with the largest coke ad ever....Did Don go back and do it or did he phone the idea in?
In the end it was what the 60s was all about....Finding yourself amid a changing world and leaving the door open for a follow up TV movie.

Hskrfan

06-30-2011

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 10:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hskrfan a private message Print Post    
I would have liked some closure with Megan and would have loved to see Harry fired and replaced by a computer.....

Roblover

05-17-2011

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roblover a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mush and Naja, for clarifying Joan's company's name for me.

I, too, Csnog, am glad Joan got away from that guy. He wanted Joan to be someone she was not. Don has taken off numerous times.....I think his running away is more of way to fill his creative tank then just running away from situations...sorta combination.

When I think back on tv series I have loved and how disappointed I was with their final show, I have to say I think the Mad Men writers did a great job on their finale. I really do not want a follow up movie. I am happy where all the characters were at the end.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I was delighted that Joan walked away from the cocaine future that he represented of the 70s era, and will leave him penniless. "

I don't understand how she would be leaving her ex boyfriend penniless. They weren't married so there would be no community property or alimony.

Debra

11-19-2003

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Debra a private message Print Post    
I read that as the cocaine and lifestyle would leave him penniless, not Joan.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Oh...that didn't occur to me because he was apparently very wealthy...he was talking about them getting a vacation home in the mountains or somewhere else - I forgot where - or both.

Even Charlie Sheen hasn't wound up penniless and I didn't think that Joan's bf was anywhere near that kind of drug use/lifestyle! :-) We only saw Joan's bf use cocaine once.

PS - I've known very well off people who occasionally used cocaine recreationally in the 80s and it never developed into anything that hurt their finances. Just like with alcohol, not everyone who uses it gets addicted to it. Of course, it's best not to test it to see if you're one of the ones that won't get hooked!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Very fitting to end it with the greatest commercial ever made.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I loved seeing that commercial again!

Smokey

07-07-2003

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
I loved the ending, pretty much everything about it.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I agree with Roblover that they did a great job for a series finale and would not need to see a movie in the future.

I love the idea that Don smiled during that last meditation session because an idea for a coke ad had just popped into his head. He was always about listening to music and how it changed during that decade.

I felt he left that one meeting because he was totally bored with it. It was a crowded room filled more with manufacturing ideas then being creative. And again I agree with Roblover that he was filling up his creative tank. Remember the ads that featured cars out on the salt flats for a varity of products in the 70's?

At first, I really didn't think he went back but now that some of you mention it, I think you are all on to something! Great ending!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I have been bingeing on Mad Men for past couple weeks. Just finished. Satisfying ending. The Coke commercial was perfect.

My father lived that life on a smaller scale. He worked for a small advertising agency in Chicago from '45 until his death in '73 from smoking. There are things in the ad men's lives that make me wonder about my father. Hmmmm.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Seems like it would have been a great era to be an adult Sans the racism and sexism. I sure do miss the actors. I'd love Jon Hamm to be the new James Bond. I haven't heard mention of it.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 6:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
My all-time favorite commercial -- still gives me goosebumps when I think of it / hear it in my mind. Debra Winger saying, "Cotton - the fabric of our lives." I occasionally see the commercial now with, IIRC, Taylor Swift. She does NOT do it like Debra Winger. Debra's voice . . . .

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: