TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 04, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 04, 2016 users admin

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, April 25, 2016 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Scout, I totally agree! I've stopped reading James Patterson because he co-writes all his books now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 25, 2016 - 4:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Scout, the full title is Homer's Odyssey: A Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned About Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat by Gwen Cooper.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 25, 2016 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am loving John Elder Robinson.. he is so articulate about how he feels, why he does what he does and he's used his talents in such interesting ways. His observations on corporate structure are dead on, too.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, April 25, 2016 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey - thanks. I am going to the library tomorrow and see if they have it there. Also still want to find the two books by Helen Simonson that Reenie recommended. They were sold out of her newer one at the bookstore and only had Major Pettigrew in a large print copy that was thirty dollars for a paperback. So I thought I would check the library and see if it's there first.

Reenie - I stopped reading all his books, too! Quite awhile back I had bought one and didn't see the other author's name in small type at the bottom. This was when they first started doing that. It was so badly written I couldn't finish it. That's when I stopped believing Patterson is co-writing or even reading these books that have his name on them. And yet his books dominate the limited space they have for all books at local places like Walmart. I just see some of these fresh and original young authors never being given a chance because of the writer's mill that keeps cranking out books based solely on a name.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, April 25, 2016 - 5:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I don't buy books from authors that put out a new book every other month, if they co-write them or not.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 3:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Just finished Fractured by Karin Slaughter. It's #2 in her Will Trent series. He's a special agent for the Atanta GBI who grew up being abused his entire childhood in the foster system and yet still maintained his heart. Not a small feat. While he's dyslexic, he has a brilliant mind for solving the puzzles of a crime. I'll definitely continue with the series.

Next up is The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman. It received tons of good reviews and is apparently being made into a movie.

I have now relegated Patterson to my list of cozies that I enjoy reading while I wait for other books to arrive at the library. They're quick, brainless and harmless fun!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
The last book I've read was Sue Grafton, "U is for Undertow." It was okay. I've only ever read one other of her books so far. Def. not in order.

Reading "Bad Things" by Michael Marshall. The book's blurbs said he is the next Stephen King. I'm halfway through it and not even close to the King. They never are. Hoping for a pleasant surprise, though. Dean Koontz is about the only one I've ever read who is the slightest bit close to SK.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 10:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Joe Hill kind of is, though what I've read is more disturbing.. but he is Stephen King's son.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 10:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Those of you who have read about Scientology...

20/20 this Friday is going to feature Ron Miscavige, father to David, who is in charge of the organization. Sounds like Dad isn't happy with how Ron is running things and as he says, he's the one who introduced his son to the group.

Should be interesting!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I can't wait to watch it, Sea. I read that Lisa Marie Presley was one of the people who helped him get out.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I'll be watching.

Ron's book Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige, and Me comes out on May 3rd.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the tip, Sea -- I'll be watching too!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
His niece's book is quite good.

And I'm still reading Look Me in the Eye and I think he is just wonderful.. right up there with Temple Grandin in terms of explaining things and how he thinks the autism spectrum works.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Giving up on The Light Between Oceans. Since turning 60, I just want to enjoy my reading time. I wasn't getting into the characters and was bored with hearing about every minute detail of a lighthouse. Then I rechecked the reviews and learned it is depressing and sad so there you go - back to the library it went. If I'm going to be depressed and saddened, give me characters that I care about from the beginning. Maybe a year or two from now I'll see it differently but I think I will just be one of the few who didn't care for the book.

I opened a book that's been on my nook for more then a few years, Sycamore Row by Grisham. I'm looking forward to seeing what happened to Jake.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
The Nest was good. I cannot say it was a great as many said but I did enjoy it.

I just finished I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh. One of the best mystery/suspense books I have read in a while. There were twists and turns I did not see coming. I started it last night and finished it this afternoon. (Even though my husband kept talking to me while I was reading.) It comes out this week and I highly recommend it.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
And I taped Dateline instead of 20/20 so I missed the Scientology show. Duh me!

Mamie - thanks for letting us know your opinion of The Nest!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Oh, no, Reenie! They'll probably have it available on at the abc.com website - you'll just have to sit through all the commercials. It was an interesting story about the elder Miscavage. I was glad to see Leah Remini included, too.

Yesterday I finished Amy Poehler's Yes Please. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The story about her inadvertent run-in with Anastasia Somoza was fascinating. Even if all the other stories had been awful, the one about Somoza would have been strong enough on its own to make the effort of reading the book worthwhile.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 02, 2016 - 4:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
John Elder Robinson.. is really an amazing man and author. I am beyond impressed and his other books are tempting.

Look Me in the Eye was the best book I have read in awhile.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, May 02, 2016 - 7:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Just finished an Ellen Degeneres book, "Seriously, I'm Kidding". It was a fun, light read.

Now reading Reenie's recommendation, "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" and am enjoying it very much.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, May 02, 2016 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Uncle Ricky.. I will give abc.com a shot! Thanks for the idea.

Seamonkey..I think I will give Look Me In The Eye a try! Thanks for the tip!

Scout, so glad you are enjoying it! I thought it was a very sweet book.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Looks like a new book from the author of A Man Called Ove is coming out soon! The title is Britt-Marie was Here!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I've started a memoir by a woman who had BOTH parents sinking into Alzheimer's at the same time. Luckily she has a sister who is supportive as they attempt to deal.

Oh.. the name of the book (heh) Alzheimer's Daughter by Jean Lee.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Hey mods!!! I just got a Kindle (yeah, yeah, I know, I am a Luddite), and just found out I can probably get free books through my local library (if my card is not expired from non-use), and I only have one day before I leave the country for a month.

Would appreciate if you don't purge this thread for a few more years. Seriously.

Thanks.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 8:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Juju - find the site "bookbub" - it will let you choose what kind of books you like and will send you an email daily with free or greatly reduced books geared towards your preferences. I have used it for years and have found many books that way.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just finished a wonderful YA book, Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum. Absolutely loved it and highly recommend it.