TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 31, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 31, 2016 users admin

Rvon

12-11-2003

Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
I'm reading "The Widow" by Fiona Barton. So far, so good. I also bought "I Let You Go" on Mamie's recommendation. Love books that aren't so predictable.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Uncle Ricky I like FB also for it's private message area chats. And while I was never at the SOD Awards, I was at a few Daytime Emmy Awards in NYC. I have lots of pix from that time. Not scanned though.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 6:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I would've loved to go to the Daytime Emmys - alas, Robert could only swing the SODAs. I have a picture of me with Elizabeth Hubbard lying around somewhere. I think I'll scan and post it to Twitter on Dec. 22 (her birthday). You'll recall she was the first-ever winner of Best Actress (in 1974) for playing Althea Davis on "The Doctors."

Last night I finished a young adult novel (The Great American Whatever) by Tim Federle. The last YA book I read (Brutal Youth) was so awful that I vowed "never again." But a friend of Seth's guaranteed that I would love the Federle book, so I gave it a chance and was very pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the writing. I'm not going to rush out and read more YA stuff, necessarily, but I won't rule them out for the future.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished Don't You Cry by Mary Kubica. Another good twisty story. Not as good as her first two, The Good Mother and Pretty Baby but still good.

I also finished First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen. I love her books. There is always a magical, feel good quality to them.

I am starting The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin. It's the final book in his trilogy, the first two being The Passage and The Twelve. I am so excited to see what happens. I don't know if I am truly prepared yet. I love these books!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, May 16, 2016 - 1:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Heckagirl - I read A Painted House years ago and really enjoyed it. It's so different from Grisham's other books. They even made a tv movie from it in 2003.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I stayed up late to finish The City of Mirrors. Perfect ending to the trilogy. Absolutely loved it. I have no nails left but I loved it.

I am going to start The Children by Ann Leary. I love her writing. And yesterday, I began reading The Outliers by Kimberly McCreight. Great start to that one.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Justin Cronin retweeted my review and said Love this. Thank you.

I am on cloud nine. My day is made.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Wow that is awesome, Mamie!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Totally agree with Jimmer - that's wonderful news. And totally deserving, too! I took a peek at the Goodreads review log of the first book in the trilogy and there are ONLY 14,408 reviews, with the average being 4 stars of out 5. And that's for a book that's 766 pages long. I think it's time for me to track down my own copy!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Mamie.....How exciting for you!!!

I need to check out this trilogy too!!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 10:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yay Mamie! :-)

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Wonderful, Mamie! :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 10:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That is wonderful, Mamie!!!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 2:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I tracked down a copy of the Lesley Stahl book, Becoming Grandma, that Mamie recommended and it turned out to be marvelous -- very, very interesting. It was fascinating to learn about all the different parenting scenarios. I often wonder how different my personality would've turned out if I'd had the traditional four grandparents instead of never having any at all. I'll have to wait for my next life.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Yay Mamie!

I read I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh that Mamie and Reenie enjoyed. I did too. I saw one of the twists coming, but two others surprised me. The first twist was very clever!

I picked up Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman (author of our beloved Ove) from the library. My mom already read and enjoyed it, so I am next.

Currently reading some fluff and I have another book from the library I want to read by Rob Delaney called Rob Delaney: Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage. He's had a popular Twitter account and he is making fun of peoples mini bios on the site with that title. It is his memoir about "sex, death, love, addiction, and fatherhood". He's a pretty funny guy. He is the co-creator and writer of 'Catastrophe' on Amazon. A very funny show that I recommend.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
I've often thought about that too, Rick. Two of my Grandparents died before I was born and the other two were in Ireland, while I lived in two different countries.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, May 23, 2016 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I might have posted it before, but I saw the trailer for the movie that is being made out of my ex-boss's husband's book and it looks fabulous (sorry for the run-on sentence). Keep your eyes out for "Ricky Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" that I believe will be coming out in the fall.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, May 23, 2016 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Roxi, see my 11:38am post on May 12 - I posted it for you!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I read The Paperboy by Pete Dexter. It says it was made into a movie. I've never seen the movie. The book was pretty good.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Tricky Twenty-Two by Janet Evanovich. It's typical Stephanie Plum foibles, murder, mystery and mayhem.

Next up: Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I LOVED Boys in the Boat, Mak - hope you do as well.

I just finished listening to Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Book Store and enjoyed it. I'm also in the last 20% of a re-listen to Voyager.

As to Kindle books, I'm still slugging through American Gods. When I have enough time to read an hour or so, I really enjoy it, but it is a book that I can't just do 10 or 20 minutes of. Hoping to finish it before school gets out, at least.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 7:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Unprocessed: My City-Dwelling Year of Reclaiming Real Food by Megan Kimble.

Finally finished it. Not for lack of interest, because it was interesting and thought provoking and it was a memoir in a way too.

But I guess combination of lack of plot, heavier reading in several active blogs of people on through hikes and too much time playing Yachtzee, plus less time available for any of those activities..

So I next chose a novel about a man who goes into a coma and is kept in a facility for years and suddenly wakes up and all he goes through to speak and walk and finally care for himself and his angst with his mother and then he rescues a dog and and.. so on.

And it had plot and I read it really quickly (neglecting my Yachtzee games). Not totally realistic but engaging enough. Turns out this guy likes to write about dogs and rescue and music and has written quite a few books. I bought one of his that is on sale for later,

Birdcall Morning by Mark J Asher.

I'm starting on a memoir by Frank Deford Over Time: My Life as a Sportswriter.

I also loved The Boys in the Boat.. I learned so much and just loved it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 10:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I spent much of the weekend finishing I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. Someone I don't know very well suggested this one to me several months ago and I'm pleased to say she was right when she assured me I would enjoy it. But it's massively long, so be prepared for that, though extremely good, too - one of the best thrillers I've come across in recent years. I recommend it highly! (The film version will likely show up in the next year or two.)

Mak - it's nearly impossible to not love The Boys in the Boat!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I have now added After I'm Gone and Boys In the Boat to my library 'hold' list.

I'm currently reading 15th Affair of the Womens Murder Club by Patterson and Maxine Paetro. Without spoiling, I'm a little annoyed at yet another EXTREME crisis taking place in the main character's life. I mean, come on now!!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Thanks Uncle Ricky - I have a (fairly) new job and my time on the internet has become somewhat restricted so I just dash and run most of the time. I know Ben is beyond excited and can't wait to see the movie.