TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 15, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 15, 2016 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
That's great news about the job! And MUCH MORE important than Ben's movie or any of our book reviews. I'm so glad for you!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I have Boys on my Kindle. I will get to it eventually.

I just finished two new books. One was Before the Fall by Noah Hawley. He's the writer of the show Fargo but there was just too much going on with it. It was about a private plane crash and the two survivors, one an artist and the other a young boy that the artist saves. Just didn't do it for me.

I also read a fun read, The Weekenders by Mary Kay Andrews. Perfect fun for the Memorial weekend.

I am reading two books. Happy Family by Tracy Barone about an abandoned baby and it's told in the point of view of many people involved in her life.

And I am reading All Things Cease To Appear by Elizabeth Brundage. A man comes home to his farm to find his wife with an axe to the head. Stephen King raved about it so here's hoping

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Keep us informed about the Brundage book - long time Stephen King fan so interested to see if it lives up to his level.

I recently downloaded a book (I paid real money for it!) on my Kindle because it was compared to The Stand (King) and Swan Song (McCammon), which are two of my favorite books in that genre. It so DID NOT compare to those books! And it was a book written to be a sequel, which annoys me to no end! It simply wasn't compelling enough to make me read further. I believe it was called "The Scattered and the Dead" and I was hugely disappointed in it. To me it plagiarized characters and plot lines from much better books.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Roxip, half the time, they don't compare at all. It's like all the books that were like Gone Girl or The Girl on the Train. Some live up to the hype but only some.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I am reading "Everyone's Fool" by Richard Russo and enjoying it! I just found out that it 's a sequel to 1993's "Nobody's Fool", but it stands on it's own just fine. The author has a wonderful way with words.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Okay - Nobody's Fool just added to the library hold list. For having come out in 1994, it's amazing how many people are ahead of me on the list!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Let me know how you like it Kappy!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, June 03, 2016 - 12:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
My library copy of the new Augusten Burroughs memoir, Lust & Wonder, finally arrived and I devoured it. One hesitates to throw words like "flawless" around, but that's what I kept thinking as I read it. And by the time I got to the big reveal about who it is Augusten ultimately ends up getting married to, I was applying the tissue (actually, my shirt sleeve; no tissue handy) to my tear-filled eyes.

And, Sea, I haven't forgotten about his brother's book that you told us about a while back - I still intend to read it, too. Just wanted to read Augusten's first.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, June 06, 2016 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I had a marvelous time with The Two-Family House by Lynda Cohen Loigman. (Thank you, Mamie, for putting it on my radar.)

I love family sagas and this one is one of the better ones I've recently read - it's right up there in the quality department. One section left me reeling and wracked with tears, it was so sad. This is a fabulous debut by Ms. Loigman. She's already working on her second novel - I won't miss it!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, June 06, 2016 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am so happy when someone else loves a book that I did.

I am reading Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley. Loving it so far. Ted loves his dachshund so much. It is the one lasting relationship he's had besides his family. He's broken up with his boyfriend and has been kind of dating. He finds an "octopus" on Lily's head. (a tumor) I know this is going to make me cry eventually. I am preparing myself but it's really very funny. He has these hilarious conversations with Lily like which Ryan (Gosling or Reynolds) is better, etc.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I have read it several times before, but The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Awwww! I'm going to cry from the description of that book, Mamie. I'm putting it on my list though. :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, June 06, 2016 - 11:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Lying in my sickbed yesterday (it's only a cold, just being a tad 'dramatic' here) I plowed through TWO SISTERS from start to finish by one of my favourites - Cathy Kelly. She's consistently reliable for an enjoyable and engrossing Maeve-Binchy-like saga.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Bummer, all 4 library books I have are losers. Didn't realize that when I was returning some books and didn't go in to find new ones. Nothing to read and going to hospital for a few days.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 11:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
ACK.. that would be hard for a few days.. hope things go well and you find something to read. Most hospitals have carts of books you can choose.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, June 10, 2016 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
It's been quite a while since I've read a gay novel, so I caught up with one that's gotten quite a bit of recent buzz, What Belong to You, by Garth Greenwell.

It's Greenwell's debut and it's a success, but you have to really concentrate because his is a very Proustian writing style, i.e., paragraphs take up an entire page (or two or three!). It's a very organized stream of consciousness that follows a young American man living in Bulgaria and teaching at a local university in Sofia -- very lyrical stuff.

The praise that's been heaped on the book is well deserved. I'm embarrassed to admit it took me FIVE DAYS to finish the 191 pages - the density of the writing will do that to you sometimes.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, June 10, 2016 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Typed too fast: the title is What Belongs to You - sorry about that, Chief.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Saw your Tweet about this and got the sample on Kindle. Intrigued for sure, but not willing to spend that much $ for a book. Off to the library I go! :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I haven't been reading much.. sadly.

Ric.. you mentioned John Elder Robinson's book in your future.. he has a new one out and a third in between..

http://www.amazon.com/John-Elder-Robison/e/B001JP9V28/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Just FYI.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, June 13, 2016 - 7:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
With the tragedy yesterday here in Florida, I was needing to shut off my TV and my Tablet and calm down. I decided to look for a book to get lost in. One with no violence. I found "The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper".

I am throughly enjoying it.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I just picked up comedian Tig Notaro's memoir I'm Just a Person. I recently watched Netflix's documentary about her (Tig) which I HIGHLY recommend. Within four months in 2012 she had a debilitating intestinal infection, her mother unexpectedly died, she went through a breakup, and then she was diagnosed with bilateral breast cancer. She ended up taking her pain to the comedy stage.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I finally finished American Gods. I liked it (the audio version has a radio cast style - many actors), but I'd have to read it at least two or three more times to say I "got" it. :-) I also finished re-listening to Voyager for perhaps the 1000th time. I'm holding off a bit on Drums of Autumn but probably won't be able to last more than a month before I start in again. I've always got a Gabaldon novel going!

I'm now listening to A Little Life and reading both Telex from Cuba in deadtree form and Confessions of a Prairie Beeeetch (HAHAHAHA - censored the title with red dots!) for a bit of relief. Our library book club is reading The Storied Life of AJ Fickery for July, so I'm looking forward to revisiting that as well.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 10:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
"The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper"sounds interesting. I will have to see if I can check that out at the library.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 6:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I haven't had much reading time here in Florida but I am trying to make up for that now as we wait for baby.

I am reading The Girls by Emma Cline. A young girl gets entangled in a Manson-like cult. Very good.

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Our new online library is so bad. After joining up with other other libraries - it now takes half a year to get a book. If they would let you have unlimited holds, then I could just put one on each week and in six months I could have a steady stream - but they only allow four. Not sure why they switched us over.
So - I have been back to re-reading all my old Maeve Binchy books. Just finished Circle of Friends for the millionth time. I just love her books!

Mamie - when is your daughter due? It's great you get to be there for the birth!