TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 04, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 04, 2016 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 05, 2016 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Shift.. wow she does a good job of making you feel just how much nurses have to juggle and the tradeoffs of protocol, paper/computer work and patient care.

Going to start a novel The Leisure Seeker by Michael Zadoorian.. an elderly couple, the wife with terminal cancer, the husband several years into dementia, decide to take off on one last trip in their camper on Route 66. Good reviews.. we will see.

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
Finished The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins - VERY good but very drawn out. The Moonstone is available at my library, but I need to finish The Girls and Sweetbitter first as they're expiring soon. Ahh...too much to read - what a 'problem' to have.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I thought the same thing, Scotch. You'll find that the The Moonstone will be an easier read (and more fun, too).

Yesterday I finished A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George, the celebrated author of the Inspector Lynley mysteries. This was the first in the series - she wrote it in '88 -- and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I look forward to all the others now that I've gotten my feet wet.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Ric, I just finished A Little Life
and found it a very compelling yet an extremely intense read. Ordinarily, I might skip over a novel with so much focus on child sexual abuse, but the relationships and how the stories were told was so well done that I stuck with it, appreciating greatly the joys that came to the characters over their lives. Brilliantly written, though I had some questions, particularly about Brother Luke, once I was done. Thank you so very much for the suggestion.

On to Anne Tyler's Vinegar Girl next.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Yay! I'm thrilled, Tres, that you came away so satisfied. It's a tough book to get through emotionally, but ultimately a positive experience!

Great minds think alike - Vinegar Girl is next on my list, too, just as soon as I finish the Patricia Highsmith book I'm currently reading!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Reenie, thank you for the recommendation of The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper. My mom really enjoyed it and I'm next. We picked up a copy from the library.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
The Best of Times by Penny Vincenzi.

Love these huge books (750 pages), that really absorb you. If I can see a book being made into a movie, it means I've thoroughly enjoyed it. :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 6:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The Patricia Highsmith I finished was Strangers On A Train - this is the book that shot her to fame, thanks primarily to Alfred Hitchcock's classic film version. I'd heard that the book was significantly different from the film, so I'd always wanted to see how much. It's quite different, but still a lot of fun. I'll eventually work my way through all her other books -- there are quite a few. She's one of the best crime writers the U.S. has ever produced.

Last night I finished Anne Tyler's Vinegar Girl and, as expected, I loved it. She is part of a group of authors who are writing modern-day retellings of classic Shakespeare plays. Jeanette Winterson wrote the first one last year, The Gap of Time, based on The Winter's Tale, followed by Howard Jacobson's Shylock is My Name, based on The Merchant of Venice. Later this year Margaret Atwood's book (not title yet) will be based on The Tempest.

Vinegar Girl -- the third in the series -- is based on The Taming of the Shrew and it is marvelous. Set in Baltimore, as all of Tyler's other books are set, it's a sweet and endearing story of a young woman whose life is turned upside down by her ambitious scientist father and his unorthodox matchmaking exploits. I'm really biased when it comes to Tyler - she is a genius (nothing less) as far as I'm concerned.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 4:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Has anyone else read Be Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson? I read it a few months ago and rather enjoyed it.

I also read Lily and the Octopusby Stephen Rowley but did not really care for it.

I have been reading even more than usual as I am recovering from a rough year of health issues. Some of the books have been awful, don't know why I finished a couple of them.

Any suggestions for a light funny, laugh out loud fiction read?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
One Plus One - Jojo Moyes - lots of laugh out loud moments on an impromptu road trip through Scotland with a stinky dog! :-) Sweet story as well.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 9:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sugar, I have Be Frank With Me to read.

I also read Lily and the Octopus and though I liked it at first, it got too weird for me.

I just finished Carol Burnett's book In Such Good Company. Who of us doesn't just love her? Her stories about her show brought back a lot of good memories.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Haven't read that one....but others.

.........and of course, this will NEVER get old:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RVBzQ0Lon1g

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Monday, September 19, 2016 - 2:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
That was so fun to see again Abby7! Thanks for the link.

Finished Vinegar Girl and enjoyed it as I do everything by Anne Tyler. It's a very quick read, more like a novella imo, but I can't say it screamed out the taming of the shrew to me. Her main character is quirky like they all are but not overly shrewish imo LOL.

On to The Nest next.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, September 19, 2016 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished "Into the Darkest Corner" by Elizabeth Haynes. It was a different type story for me. I think it would hit to close to home for someone who had been abused.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Glad you liked Vinegar Girl, Tres. I agree that Kate wasn't shrewish, just brutally honest with her opinions.

Earlier today I finished Boy Erased: A Memoir by Garrard Conley. I heard him interviewed on NPR and he was very well-spoken as he spoke about his experience being sent, at age 19, by his parents to a conversion therapy program. His father being a Baptist pastor (in a small town in Arkansas) made it impossible for him to refuse the dad's demand to rid himself of his gayness.

The book is written in an interesting, shifts-back-and-forth-in-time style. I was totally lost when he wrote about the religious aspects of his story due to my life-long atheism. But it's a compelling story nonetheless. There were a couple of very frightening sections, e.g., the Ford car dealership where Conley worked held a staff Bible-study session every single morning (in one of the showrooms). I can't even imagine such a thing. It reminded me of a race I travelled to in North Carolina a few years ago. Before the starting gun was fired, the race director led the runners in an extended prayer session - it was over five minutes long. I'm pretty sure I was the only runner who abstained from the praying. Fortunately, no one gave me a hard time about not participating.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
{{{Ric}}}

I hate being in situations like that!

Someone religious at Curves (and there are more than one would think) was talking about The X Factor US a few years ago when one of the yonng singers had two moms. This person announced she was praying for this girl.

I was like Hey, I've been voting for her.

And then it was announced that she was being exploited having lesbian moms.

I'm told my eyes got big

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 6:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh yes and I finished the novel I was reading The Leisure Seeker which was the name of the old camper the couple travelled in. Even with a bittersweet ending, I enjoyed the narrator very much.

Back to nonfiction.. Atul Gawande's The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right, which I had on my kindle.

But I won't finish before a showing of his documentary "Being Mortal", which was on Frontline. I've seen it but will be viewing with discussion.. Alzheimer's group.

He does make good arguments for having checklists! They have made them at the shelter so that after training, you have something to check so you get things right.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Finished Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger and while I initially found it slow, by the end I had shed more then a few tears and the story literally stayed with me. I had a hard time picking up a new book because I didn't want to let it go.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sea, thank you for commiserating with me in your note this past Tuesday.

I finally got around to reading The Portable Veblen by Elizabeth McKenzie (a writer I'd not heard of before). Mamie gave it a good review earlier this year and I noticed it recently at the library and checked it out.

I can't really explain why I loved the book, but I can't deny that it made a great impression on me. Probably because it dealt so heavily with families and the challenging characters (i.e., oddballs) who exist within those families. I was a little thrown off by the squirrels, but I was able to "go with it" and enjoy the strongly written main characters. It's definitely one of the better books of 2016.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, September 26, 2016 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Just started a book that looks to be rather interesting, The Peculiar Miracles of Antoinette Martin by Stephanie Knipper.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 26, 2016 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Gawande's book on lists and wow.. what a huge difference they make and for surgery what lives they save.

So many books.. hard to choose what is next.

But I got one of Augustin Burroughs' books that I haven't read Lust & Wonders: A Memoir for $2.99 on Kindle..

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Finished The Girls in the Garden by Lisa Jewell and thought it was good. A mother moves with her 2 daughters to a flat in London with a large communal garden area. What appears to be a safe haven soon proves to be anything but. I liked the way the author slowly peeled back the layers of the characters until the attacker was fully exposed. Looking on Amazon, the author doesn't appear to have many readers but I would be willing to try another of her books.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 11:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm reading a novel (amazing!.. I actually thought it was a memoir, but I'm liking it.. about an artist who is told she has RP and will be blind in a very short time, on a whim takes off on a trip with an old friend sort of around the world.

Definitely interesting.

Bluje Sun, Yellow Sky by Jamie Jo Hoang.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 10:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Kappy, I also read The Girls in the Garden but thought it was a bit ho-hum. I felt the story dragged a bit and it took longer than it should have to end.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Revival" by Stephen King. I enjoyed it.