TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 01, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 01, 2016 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am reading Falling a love story by Jane Green right now. The main character is irritating the bejesus out of me, she is so insecure and always jumping to the wrong conclusion especially for being in her mid to late 30's. Argh.
I have liked several of Ms. Green's previous books, don't think this one is quite on par with her other work.

This is not to say my 30's were completely sensible

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 6:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "People of the Songtrail" by W. Michael and Kathleen O'Neal Gear. They are prolific writers and have written more than 30 books separately and together. They have whole series of books. I think I've read about the first 13, along with a couple of stand alone books. They are very good.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Finished Falling a love story and didn't really care for it. I have grown weary of predictable books. What I suspect was to be the surprise of the book, a fool could see coming.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 8:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Finished Too Close To Home by Linwood Barclay and really enjoyed it. It's not a wild or scary type of thriller but definitely keeps you reading to find out who did what.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished Bryan Cranston's book and I love him even more now.

I am starting The Twenty-Three by Linwood Barclay. I cannot wait to see how this trilogy finally plays out. Hope I don't get too confused.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 1:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Mamie, I hope you don't get confused either, because if you do, I'm sure I'll get confused, too. But Barclay's in my "can-do-no-wrong" zone at the moment, so I'm sure I'll love it. (Very jealous you have your copy - still waiting for my library copy to pop up.)

This morning I finished The Girl with the Lower-Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer. It was a delightful experience from start to finish. It reminded me of the books Leah Remini and Patti LuPone wrote about their lives -- extremely, extremely, extremely honest (to put it mildly). The section about her abusive boyfriend was tough to read - she shared every single graphic detail. I think a lot of celebrities in her position would have been more general - not Amy, she leaves nothing out.

The book is also hilariously funny. Her ascent really has been one of the more amazing rises to fame, considering she had practically no experience and finished 4th on "Last Comic Standing" in 2007 - I watched her season and I hated how the other (veteran) comics belitted her progress simply because of her vast inexperience; they refused to give her credit, griping that they'd "paid their dues" and she hadn't.

I highly recommend this book!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Wow ... I had no idea she was on Last Comic Standing and finished fourth. As you said it's amazing how her career took off. Great that she persevered.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I will definitely buy Amy's book. I was going to anyway but with your glowing recommendation, for sure. My birthday is coming up so waiting on that Amazon giftcard spree.

The Twenty-Three comes on on Nov.1 so hopefully you won't have to wait too much longer.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I don't get all the Amy Schumer love. The few clips I've seen,, she just isn't very funny or doesn't know when to end the routine/joke.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 10:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
She's definitely not everyone's cup of tea, Sugar, there's no disputing that. And some of her peers have badmouthed her for various reasons. But she's completely fearless and stands her ground in all controversies. She's very similar to Lena Dunham where the overnight popularity is concerned. A lot of people dislike Dunham (you either "get" her or you don't). I think Dunham's great, too. And, yes, the two of them are very close friends. I really admire their fierce independence and their senses of humor.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I have not seen anything of/with Lena Dunham. I didn't have HBO so never saw Girls although I would be interested in giving it a look.

I don't remember Amy from Last Comic Standing.

I saw Rod Man, a winner of Last Comic Standing, last March @ Caroline's in NYC. He was funny, however, we were disappointed that he used some of the same material from Last Comic Standing as he has had a couple of years to write new material.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I have been enjoying The Little Old Lady Who Broke All The Rules by Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg. I believe it is the 1st of 3 League of Pensioners books.

Tis a group of pensioners who are fed up with the budget cuts at their retirement home. They see a documentary on prison life and in it the prisoners are treated better than the elderly. They decide to commit a crime in order to be sent to prison. Things are not always going to plan and prison differs from the documentary.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I just read When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. He wrote it while he was dying of lung cancer at the age of 37. It's going to stay with me for quite a while. I read the epilogue through tears and am tearing up again just thinking about the emotions expressed so courageously and beautifully in his writing.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I loved it, too, Mak (as one can love such a tragic story) - I'm glad you got to experience such a unique book. You're right that it stays with you long after you've finished reading it.

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 7:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Just finished The Magnolia Story about Chip and Joanna Gaines. Very inspirational! Love them more now than ever.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
The Twenty-Three by Linwood Barclay was a satisfying conclusion to the Promise Falls trilogy. Again, maybe a bit too many characters to follow but the two mysteries that were solved are played out well.

I am starting The Survivor's Guide to Family Happiness by Maddie Dawson now. I enjoyed her other two books so fingers crossed.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, October 28, 2016 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Glad to hear that Twenty Three is good as it's on my hold list at the library.

Finished No Time For Goodbye by Barclay and enjoyed it but have to admit that if it were a tv show, I would be screaming quite often at the main characters to call the police more often, lol.

Now I'm on to The Forgotten by Baldacci. It' the 2nd in the John Puller series.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just finished The Bookshop on the Cornerby Jenny Colgan. I enjoyed it despite it being rather formulaic. I have read a few of her other books as well.

The Bookshop on the Corner refers to a children's book that sounds utterly delightful called, Up On the Rooftops. I have tried to find this book to no avail and fear it doesn't exist sans this story. I saw postings indicating that other people were looking for it as well.

She does refer to many other books that do exist, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Knife of Never Letting Go, Lark Rise to Candleford and The Outlander series for example and that gave me hope that Up On the Rooftops was an actual book. The names of the children in the book have the same names as Ms. Colgan's children. Was it a nod to them or did she name her kiddles after characters in a much loved book?

I rather hope Ms. Colgan writes the lovely sounding Up On the Rooftops quite soon.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I also finished The Little Old Lady Who Broke All The Rules by Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg and it was a pleasant read. I plan to find the other 2 books in the series I saw listed.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I finally got around to finishing the Pulitzer Prize winner ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE. I think it would make a good movie. BUt not my usual cup of tea.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Dean Koontz's "Ashley Bell". It was good, but kinda what I got used to from him.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 11:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I tracked down Lisa Unger's first book, Beautiful Lies and really enjoyed it. It was a little on the long side, but not boring or anything like that. She was born to write thrillers and this was an excellent debut. She's written 14 of them altogether and I'll eventually work my way through all of them.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 11:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Getting ready to start Ghost Times Two by Carolyn Hart, the new Bailey Ruth Ghost Novel. They are usually a fun little read.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
The Survivor's Guide to Family Happiness by Maddie Dawson was a very enjoyable read. I loved the main character.

I am now reading Faithful by Alice Hoffman. (One of my favorite writers)

And I am reading Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Ric, I really liked Lisa Unger's In the Blood, if you haven't read it yet.