TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 15, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 15, 2016 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Yes, yes, I did read it - earlier this year! I hate reading an author's body of work out of order. That's why I went back and started with her first one. But thank you for reminding me! The other day I started reading one of John Feinstein's books and 40 pages into it I realized I had already read it!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I have bought plenty of books at the Used Bookstore that I thought sounded terrific only to get home and see that I have already read them. Well, they did sound terrific!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'm listening to a new book The Short Drop by Matthew Fitzsimmons. I think it was a sale book, but I'm enjoying it so far. It's a 10-year kidnapping story with computer hacker intrigue.

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Just finished The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. Very interesting. Now I want to see the movie.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, November 04, 2016 - 12:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
When I read The Girl on the Train I got bored about half way and stopped reading. I decided to take a peek at the end, which I don't believe I have ever done with a book before, and ended up quickly skimming backwards to where I had stopped reading.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, November 04, 2016 - 7:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I loved The Girl on the Train.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, November 04, 2016 - 6:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. It was alot better than I thought it would be. Quite good.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Another excellent suggestion by Mamie turned out to be the delightful Live Fast Die Hot by Jenny Mollen, which I finished earlier today. Her collection of comic stories about her child, her dogs, her husband (Jason Biggs), her pal Chelsea Handler, etc. are all on expert display. She's very, very talented - I must track down a copy of her first book!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 11:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just started a book called Eden Hillby Bill Higgs.

I have only read about 1/4th of the book and find it rather likeable. It has a certain charm and sweetness. The setting is a small Kentucky town in 1962 with changes coming to a place where precious little has changed in decades.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I have finished Eden Hill it wasn't quite what I had initially thought it would be, a "Southern charmer". I was hoping it would be of the same ilk as Fannie Flagg, it was not. Once I realized it was from Tyndale publishing I knew exactly how the story would pan out. It wasn't a bad book, just not as sweet and whimsical as I thought it would be.

Time to start a new book or finish one of the others I am reading.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Ric, I had to watch the Chelsea show to see what happened.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I know! So did I! I'm glad I subscribe to Netflix so I could see the episode. It's interesting that the friend who went with her and Chelsea to Peru is identified on Chelsea's show as "Dan" while Jenny refers to him in her book as "Denny" - maybe he answers to both. 😛

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 7:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "The Christmas Pearl" by Dorothea Frank. Your usual schmaltz. Found it interesting though, half the book is recipes.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, November 14, 2016 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Does anyone else continue to read a series of books that isn't particularly good?

I am thinking of the Hannah Swensen series by Joanne Fluke. The "mystery" has never been mysterious, one would be hard pressed to find a page where the characters weren't drinking coffee and the characters are pretty one dimensional. There are a few interesting recipes from time to time.

I think I read them when I can't find something I haven't already read in the New Books section at the library. Hopefully, I will be able to walk better soon and can go searching for books in the regular stacks which are at the back of the library.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, November 14, 2016 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Not me, Sugar. I read the first three or four Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich, but then they grew too predictable, so I stopped. But I'm extremely impressed with how successful Evanovich has remained throughout the years.

Speaking of a series, I finished the latest by Harlan Coben, Home, where he returns to his odd-couple sleuths, Myron Bolitar and Win Lockhorne. It's been a while since he wrote a Bolitar book and I kind of got the sense that this might the last one. It was, as per usual, delicious and I was sorry to see it end.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, November 14, 2016 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I agree Uncle_ricky, the Stephanie Plum books are predictable, however, I do get a kick out of them so I still read the series.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I kept reading Diane Mott Davidson's books even after I was getting bored with them.

I just read Victoria by Daisy Goodwin. It will be a series on Masterpiece in the new year. I am sure that will be good but the book read like a script for the show. It was very directional.

I am starting The Whole Town's Talking by Fannie Flagg. I always enjoy her books. And I am waiting on my huge book order from Amazon. I love spending birthday gift cards!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I read the first 8 Stephanie Plum books during a very difficult year when I needed humor and loved them at the time for that. I stopped around #16 thinking I might go back but never did. That is one of the first series that I stopped reading.

Previous to retiring, I went through a phase where I read cozies during the winter and thrillers during the summer but now I'm all over the place. Thanks to this board, I'm finding new authors to try so thank you to everyone who posts about a book they've enjoyed!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 11:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just breezed through Dancing With The Stars' Derek Hough's Take the Lead. Part biography part inspirational inspirational and honest and deep and I just admire that young fella so much!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I've read far too many of James Patterson's books considering that I think he is one of the most successful worst authors in the world. How did I read so many? I bought a bunch of them all at once at a sale.

My apologies to anyone who enjoys his books. I know he has a huge following. LOL I did enjoy his occasional cameo appearances on Castle.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, you put it perfectly, James Patterson is one of the most successful worst authors ever! Sad as he used to be good, the early Alex Cross novels for example.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
If you were a fan of A Man Called Ove, I would suggest that you see if the film is playing in your area. I saw it yesterday and loved it.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 1:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 1:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
I'm reading both Janet Evanovich and Joanne Fluke this year. Some days, when life is so intense, as it is right now, it is refreshing to read something light and fun even if somewhat predictable. The Plum novels make me laugh, and that is enough for me to recommend them.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 4:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Mamie316, so glad you mentioned there is a new Fannie Flagg book. I have enjoyed almost all of her work, didn't think the last one, The All Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion, was her best but will find her new work. Was it you who was going to read
Be Frank with Me? If you did, what did you think?

Has anyone read The Tumbling Turner Sistersby Juliette Fay? I rather liked it.