TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 28, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 28, 2017 users admin

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 6:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Finished Judy Blume's In The Unlikely Event and enjoyed it very much. Her story involves some true events but with fictional characters. She tells the reader at novel's end what was true. The main character is a 15-year-old girl, and much of the story involves how she and her friends and family in New Jersey react to the traumatic events described.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just finished "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" by Rachel Joyce. Very interesting book. Not my usual but I enjoyed it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 12:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I read that one last year. Different but I enjoyed it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 21, 2017 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the John Elder Robinson. He really does have a deadpan sense of humor. I would read his other two books if there is a price drop at some point.

Now reading Sully by Chesley Sullenberger (who landed the plane on the Potomac).

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, April 21, 2017 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I also liked The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.. I had also read the sequel The Love song of Miss Queenie Hennessy. The second book was sad.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 24, 2017 - 12:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Sully.. His whole life prepared him for that landing. He is a modest man.

Next I read a memoir by a woman who led a troubled life, was forced to give her firstborn up for adoption.. An all the years and reunion.

One Perfect Day: A Mother and Son's Story of Adoption and Reunion.

Now starting a memoir about a dying man and his letters to his sons.. Tell My Sons: A Father's Last Letters, by Lt. Col. Mark M. Weber.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I just this second finished Michael Chabon's latest, Moonglow. I am in desperate need of something to relieve the pain I'm experiencing; a pain caused by its terrible dullness. I ignored my inner voice at page 100 (which was warning me to "Stop! Stop!"). But, like a ninny, I plowed through all 428 pages. Oh my goodness. When will I learn to go with my instincts and just wave the white flag? Chabon is an excellent writer and this one had its moments, but it just bored the pants off me.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Poor Uncle_ricky. I have made that mistake a few times myself.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mark Weber was quite amazing .. I'm still reading his book, but he mentioned his blog on Caringbridge.. I follow lots of people on Caringbridge so I started reading his blog there.. wow.. so articulate.. I've read a year of entries and more.

He was misdiagnosed with an ulcer, then Mayo Clinic dignosed a form of pancreatic cancer, operated, etc. Later someone else diagnosed another rarer cancer and I think maybe it ended up being a fourth type. He MIGHT have had some treatment for that, but too late.

But in his blog we see how he advocated for himself at times, wasn't about to be silenced by doctors, called out various people on BS when there was BS. I think he taught some people, for sure.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Uncle Ricky, have you read Michael J Fox's books? Probably.

I've read two of the three and if you haven't..

it might "cleanse your palate".

There is also a book by Christopher Reeve, Nothing is Impossible, that is really inspiring.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sugar, thank you for sympathizing!

Sea, I have not read any of Fox's three books. I was not a fan of "Family Ties" or the "Back to the Future" films. I did, however, like him on "The Good Wife," so I may try the first one he wrote to see if I like it. And I've heard plenty of people rave about the Reeve book - I will keep that one in mind, too.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I wasn't particularly a fan and especially not in The Good Wife, but enjoyed his first book.

The Reeves used their ride situation to try to move medicine forward..

Another possibility.. Not sure.. But you did end up liking Ove..

The Edward books by Craig Lancaster.

Just not sure.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 11:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I loved A Man Called Ove as well as the next 2 books and I enjoyed The Edward books as well.
Graeme Simsion has 2 books along the same line as the Edward books. They are The Rosie Project and The Rosie Effect.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
FYI, Frederic Backman (Ove) has a new novel published yesterday titled Beartown.

Ric, after trying and failing three times to read Bonfire of The Vanities, I instituted The 50 Page Rule. If I'm not engaged by that point, it's time to move on, but sometimes persistence does pay off.

Finishing up the latest Joann Fluke cozy mystery, Banana Cream Pie Murder and was good until she crossed her fingers under the table while lying to her friend. What 30 year old woman does that? LOL They are light and fun over all, though, and sometimes I need a break from heavy content.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 12:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I have finally gotten to where I will quit reading if the book isn't doing anything for me. I used to feel that the author took the time to write it so I should take the time to read it. And you never know if it might suddenly spark your interest but that never happens so I just pick up something else. There are so many books out there!

I am reading Graeme Simsion's new book The Best of Adam Sharpe. It is making me sing along with every song he mentions in it. It comes out next week.

I am also reading Burntown by Jennifer McMahon. I always enjoy her books. They have an eerie quality to them.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sea, you sold me on Mr. Fox! You read his book even though you weren't a fan of his at the outset. That you liked it anyway says plenty about how good it must be.

I liked the "Ove" book a lot and I intend to take a peek at the other works by Backman.

Tres, that's a great story about BOTV. Ha, ha, I totally loved it and wished it were twice as long. Interestingly that's the only book of Wolfe's I've ever read. And maybe I should revise my 100-page rule and reduce it to 50-pages instead. It sure would be a nice timesaver.

Mamie, you're absolutely right - there ARE so many books to be read (and so little time). I really MUST learn to bring down the guillotine sooner on books that aren't connecting with me. Like you, I have always felt this crazy obligation to keep reading because the writer went to all the trouble of writing it. But then the writer has no idea I'm reading it, so it's especially crackpotty of me to even be concerned about the writer's feelings!

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 2:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
I love the word crackpotty Ric! I guess we're even now since I was disappointed that you couldn't read Fates and Furies, which I admit is hard to get into.

I think I neglected to recommend Paula McLain's Circling The Sun about horse trainer and early aviator Beryl Markham. McLain also wrote The Paris Wife. It also covers Markham's affair with the husband of her friend Karen Blixen, who is better known as Isak Dinesen, author of Out of Africa.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I didn't like Fates and Furies either.

I love crackpotty. I am going to have to use that.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
😜 😜 😜

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
On the crackpotty train too.

I loved Ove but so far his other books are high priced for me.

Blessings books, I pre-order. Edward books, I will buy (but they aren't as high priced).

I really should be able to come up with more that I think you would like and you haven't read but.. you have read many that I liked and you like many that I probably wouldn't or haven't read. Hmm.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I'm still waiting for someone else to read Be Frank With Me by Julia Clairborne Johnson. I. Found it to be a rather charming story.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 8:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Oh Sugar. I did read it finally. I enjoyed it.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 10:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I'm glad Mamie316. That Frank was an unusual lad with a nutty mama.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 28, 2017 - 8:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the book, still reading the Caringbridge and oh the youtubes.. This man could write, speak, sing.. He left so much for his three sons and his wife.

Tears..

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sugar, she was nutty but they seemed to have their way of doing things.