TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Let's share...what are you reading???...

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading???? users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
ARCHIVESMamie3164700 189 07-05-17  7:37 pm
Archive through July 31, 2017Uncle_ricky25 07-31-17  11:06 am
Archive through September 02, 2017Sugar25 09-02-17  12:50 am
Archive through October 05, 2017Kappy25 10-05-17  11:45 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just finished watching Shetland on Netflix and liked the series. Most of them are 2 episodes covering 1 book. I have not read any of the books.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished re-reading "Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King. It had been long enough that I did not remember a lot of it. Very good.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I just finished listening to The Wrong Side of Goodbye by Michael Connelly - it was good, too. I'll get on the wait list for his new one. :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
WAIT, WHAT??! I have watched a couple of episodes of Shetland and loved it. I did NOT, however, know that it was based on a book series. Rather like Wallander, then?

Damn....now I have both books and TV to watch/read. I need to figure out how to get someone to pay me to do both!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 06, 2017 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Bright Hour was quite good, though of course it was sad.

Reading Letters to a Young Doctor by Richard Seltzer.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I very rarely will read a book after I've seen its adaptation as a film or TV series. I completely loved "The Leftovers," the HBO series based on Tom Perrotta's novel. I was glad it was able to last three seasons. It's because I miss it that I decided to read the book, just to see how different it is from the TV show.

I'd also never read any of Perrotta's other books, so I was hoping I would like it enough to inspire me to read his other works. I am happy to report that the book, while not nearly as ambitious as the TV show, connected with me instantly, so much so that I'll definitely read his other stuff (I really like his writing style). The TV series is definitely much better, but then the show would never have existed if not for the publication of the book!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I liked Perotta's Little Children and The Abstinence Teacher. They aren't for everyone though.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
You and I rarely disagree. Plus, books that "aren't for everyone" are usually right up my alley! I've noticed that Perrotta's latest (Mrs. Fletcher) has gotten mostly rave reviews, so I'll lkely get my buttscratchers on that one first.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
This morning I finished Kaira Rouda's Best Day Ever, which I'd noticed Mamie give 5 out of 5 stars to recently. Ms. Rouda was unknown to me prior to now and I was very impressed with her villainous "hero" Paul Strom. He reminded me quite a bit of the Joe Goldberg character in the You thriller by Caroline Kepnes.

The stories are quite different, but both writers do exceptional jobs of giving us wildly creepy main characters that grip our attention from start to finish. I hope, similar to how Joe Goldberg returned for a second novel, that we've not seen the last of Paul Strom.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Letters to a Young Surgeon, which was insightful at times, strange at others.

I think next is a novel, 2 a.m. at the Cat's Pajamas by Marie-Helene Bertino.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Monster in the Closet" by Karen Rose. It was mostly good. I would say a mystery/thriller.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I read 2 am at the Cat's Pajama's a couple years ago. I seem to recall finding it to be an interesting read.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, October 16, 2017 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thank you, thank you and thank you once again Mamie316 & Uncle_ricky and anyone else who suggested the wonderful novel, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo! I read it yesterday and I must say I quite enjoyed it.

I was pleased that the reason for Evelyn choosing Monique was not blatantly obvious. At least not to me. I'm glad the author didn't opt for any of the usual storylines in that regard.

This is the first novel I have read from the pen of Taylor Jenkins Reid and I plan on checking out her earlier work.

Thanks again to all who suggested this book.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, October 16, 2017 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
YAY! II read that one on the plane to Scotland, Sugar, and loved it, too! Just recommended it to one of our library workers - but told her I didn't think our library book club was quite ready for it.

Meanwhile our library director is reading A Little Life and loving it, too. The best recommendations definitely come from this group!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: