TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Windows 10

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Windows 10 users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 25, 2015Landileigh25 07-25-15  5:24 pm
Archive through August 21, 2015Juju2bigdog25 08-21-15  9:26 pm
Archive through September 09, 2015Sillypickles25 09-09-15  11:07 pm
Archive through November 10, 2015Dogdoc25 11-10-15  3:35 pm
Archive through November 24, 2015Dogdoc25 11-24-15  9:23 am
Archive through April 07, 2016Naja25 04-07-16  12:30 am
Archive through May 30, 2016Rupertbear225 05-30-16  7:30 pm
Archive through July 20, 2016Holly25 07-20-16  6:57 am
Archive through September 26, 2016Seamonkey25 09-26-16  9:58 pm
Archive through October 12, 2016Naja25 10-12-16  9:05 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Willsfan

09-04-2000

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 10:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willsfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the info Naja

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Naja, let's say if you had upgraded for free from Windows 7 to Windows 10 before the free download period and were now having issues with Windows 10, would you be able to do a reinstall of Windows 10 from scratch without having other access to a backup copy of Windows 10?

Oops, I didn't read to the end of your post with the instructions, but I will let my question stand. Let's say I have my files and programs backed up somewhere but do not have access to Windows 10 at all, except the one currently residing on my hard drive. Can I still do a fresh install?

(this is a hypothetical question; I, of course, have about seventeen different backups)

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Of course, Juju. They have made it that once you have W10, you can start over at any time. I just went into my settings.

The path was> settings > updates and security > recovery > reset this PC

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 11:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Naja!

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 11:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just wanted wanted to report that so far I haven't had any problems with new big windows 10 update. The only pain in the butt part is having to reassign the default programs again every time I click on a file type for the first time.

Plus, it took awhile. I'm not sure how long since I went to bed about 15 minutes after I clicked to install.

Here's an article about the new features.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/11/15256214/microsoft-windows-10-creators-update-features-review

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, September 16, 2019 - 4:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Is this something we need to worry about?

Warning Issued For Millions Of Microsoft Windows 10 Users

Anything we can do proactively?

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, September 16, 2019 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I installed it on 9.11 to 3 devices, and none of that happened for me except one of my front USB ports stopped working on the desktop. I wouldn't worry .

I fixed the USB port already, so no harm.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, September 16, 2019 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Heh. NOW you warn me. A Windows update took out Bigdog's laptop in mid-August. I think it was the big 1903 one. I have been working on getting his back ever since (well, not continuously). It was in an endless loop of blue screen of death (BSOD) for quite some time. I finally traced the error to conflicting entries in the registry for Adobe Flash. I ended up reinstalling the operating system from a system image, but the error followed me. And I ran out of time and patience and gave Bigdog one of my spares.

Then last week or so, another Windows update took out the Ctrl F (Find) function on MY laptop, but only on Notepad. Very bizarre. But I had two very large text files in Notepad that I need to search with some frequency. Luckily Copy still worked, so I copied them to Word, and the Find function of Word works. Then I started Googling. There were only a smattering of occasions where this had occurred with other folks, but I finally came across a solution where somebody said Ccleaner has a good registry cleaner, so I tried that, and it had a whole bunch of findings which it fixed.

Cleaner did not help my problem, but I decided to download Ccleaner and run it on Bigdog's laptop, and voila! I got Bigdog's laptop working again.

Then in the past couple days there was apparently another Windows update, and Bigdog's laptop went back to BSOD Saturday night. Aaaaiiiiieeeee!!! When I got it out to work on it tonight, I got a notice that recent updates were being uninstalled. And then the laptop started to the Welcome screen. I got it working again after various feats of profanation and prestidigitation, but as we say in Spanish, ¡BASTA!

You might correctly assume that we are keeping our back-ups backed up at the Juju and Bigdog household. Might be time to completely switch to Apple products.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL Juju... I have been meaning to come here and ask about this little address box that has appeared on my menu bar.

And I guess there was an update recently, maybe last week.

Not sure what the address box is for and dont' really know how to get it off the menu bar.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Not sure what you mean by little address box. Maybe the little address box is Cortana? And you have accidentally changed a setting to always show Cortana search box on taskbar?

Oh wait, you said menu bar, and I don't know what that is. I Googled and found out menu bar is not enabled in Windows 10 unless you go and specifically turn it on, which I have not done. Do you mean task bar?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
It is a white box that you can type in, on the left it says Address, there is a little arrow that brings up 3 different C: prompts and 1 says This PC, next to the arrow is a circle arrow, nothing happens when I click on that.

I guess it is the task bar, it is the thing along the bottom of the screen that has all the icons on it.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
I just had a major problem with the Windows 10 operating system. To over come it, everything was wiped clean and re-installed. BIG Headache! The people who helped me said it was due to the most recent update, which was in August. I believe this was the one before the 1903 update. The update for my NEW operating system is the 1903 and everything is now working fine.

I feel sorry for anyone who has experienced this problem!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Okay, that is your taskbar. Go down there and right click in a piece of it that doesn't have an icon. Poke around on that menu, checking and unchecking things one at a time to see what happens. You just might find what is going on. I am going to guess at some time you might have inadvertently hit the Windows key while you were typing something, and it made some sort of taskbar shortcut for you.

Kitkat, yes, I think it was that one that messed up Bigdog's laptop.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, April 02, 2022 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I have windows 10 but now my computer is bugging me to go to windows 11 - desk top computer But less than a year old. I am just learning about android when I am in bed, but at my desk I prefer the hard wired desk top for checking and credit cards. Has anyone gone to windows 11 yet? is it good?

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, April 02, 2022 - 8:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have never been nagged to upgrade, but all of my laptops, and there are many, are old, hardworking Dell Latitudes, all Windows 10.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, April 02, 2022 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I have Windows 11 and it is pretty much the same except for some really stupid things, like they moved the start menu to the middle of the screen, LOL.

When mine was set up the computer guy moved it back over to the left where I like it. And they changed it a bit.

Also if you get office the new versions are weird to me because I think I still had office 2007, LOL, and hadn't upgraded that so I am still trying to get used to that.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, April 02, 2022 - 10:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have not been bugged, but my computer will not work with Windows 11, per the Microsoft site.. So I'll be converting with a new computer as far as possible in the future.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, April 03, 2022 - 9:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Aha! I bet none of mine qualify for windows 11 update. They are all old, but I cannot for the life of me manage to kill any of them. And sure enough, I just checked the newest, the one I am using now a Dell Latitude E6230, and result showed my processor does not qualify. Oh well, I had a great run with these marvelous laptops. I guess I will just go on as long as Windows 10 is supported. My fleet of ancient Dell Latitudes and I are aging gracefully together.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, April 03, 2022 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Lucky you. I went through 2 computers last year lost my saved music and video and I had plenty. 2 entire plays I had not watched yet. And some old tv shows . The sites I downloaded from no longer exist. I can't find the cord to my back up drive.

Oh well

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: