TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 19, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Cakes, confections, cookies, etc.: Archive through November 19, 2014 users admin

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
P.S. Teach, this time of year, with all the lovely fresh fruits, I'm totally a fruit <prostitute>. Peach pie, plum tarts, strawberry pie (with WHOLE strawberries), mixed berry pie, apricot almond tarts... Anything with fresh fruit and I'm in heaven. I save things like lemon meringue pies, coconut or chocolate cream pies, and so on for the seasons where there isn't such a bounty of fresh fruit. Now granted, I live where I can get berries all year round, but the stone fruits? I make plenty of jams, I freeze tons of fruits for smoothies, I eat fistfuls of fresh fruits... and I make fresh pies!!!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Not trying to argue, but at my store there were three kinds of Baker's chocolate...in the bars where you break off the squares. There was unsweetened, sweetened and bittersweet. I will go with the unsweetened because that seems to be the one used in the past?

http://www.kraftbrands.com/bakerschocolate/bakersbrands.aspx

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Yup. Unsweetened. Always the best for baking! :-) (Next best would be bittersweet. Stay away from sweetened!)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
:-) @ Costa. I love fruit - just without all that crust - and I have been known to go a bit overboard on the apple crisp when apples are in season. I now have peaches and blueberries on my counter that will enter a pie crust later this week. I was going to make it tonight, but the gal at the fruit market said they'd just picked the peaches this afternoon and they'd need a couple counter days to really soften and sweeten up. Glad she told me or I'd be a frustrated baker right now!

Oh - and Costa, try a strawberry pie w/that crust from the sugar cream pie. I make my grandma's strawberry pie (w/a couple TB of jello in the final step) and that was the crust she used. It's almost a shortbread and it's a beautiful combination!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Thanks Costa. Going to the store tonight so (if I make a list...and remember to carry it with me...LOL) I will pick up some.

I have the same problem with my recycle grocery bags...I used to carry them in the FRONT SEAT of my car and I would still find myself inside WalMart at the checkout stand and remember that I hadn't brought them in with me. I have having a mind like a sieve!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 7:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I finally admitted that I may have a wee bit of a memory problem yesterday. I had received a couple of cute votives for my b-day that would be perfect for traveling. When I packed for my trip last Sunday, I could NOT find the damn things. Found them yesterday. Apparently, I thought they smelled nice when you walked by so I put them by the front door. Yeah, like THAT was an easy place to remember! Sigh...

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I can laugh because I totally understand. I can't tell you how many times I have to have my daughter call my cellphone so I can remember where I put it...and half the time it is in my purse (of course that says a lot about the state of my purse, doesn't it?).

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
There are advantages to carrying teeny tiny purses! :-)

My dad's wife just said "welcome to the club." Dammit! :-)

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, November 14, 2011 - 9:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Ok, this is great for Thanksgiving or Christmas:

I made mini pies this weekend. rolled out the dough, took a circular cookie cutter and cut the dough into circles and placed them in a greased cupcake tin and pressed it against the sides. Then I poured pumpkin pie filling in each one. They baked for about 30 minutes and came out perfectly. Each person had their own individual pie!

I am going to do this with apple and pumpkin on Thanksgiving.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, November 14, 2011 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I'm doing that with cheesecakes (in muffin tins) for Thanksgiving - WeightWatchers of course...LOL!

Countrydaze

11-07-2003

Monday, November 14, 2011 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Countrydaze a private message Print Post    
Oh Escapee, I never thought of that, but I sure am going to make that myself. Thank you, what a great idea!!

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Monday, November 14, 2011 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
One of my goals is to learn to make my own piecrust. It's so much easier to buy it, but the homemade stuff is really good! My mom makes her own, especially when making fruit pies (apple, mince, etc.) I've just never done it.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 5:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I am making these

Pecan Pie Truffles

Get ready for the most intense holiday goodie you’ve ever tried. These fabulous truffles, created by the VegNews food columnist Hannah Kaminsky, are outrageously flavorful and combine the best part of pecan pie (pecans, sugar and bourbon) in a thin layer of smooth chocolate. Like traditional rum balls, these offer a slightly alcoholic kick, so be sure to monitor any underage guests!
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups pecans, toasted and finely chopped

1 cup graham cracker crumbs

1 cup dark brown sugar, packed

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons maple syrup

1/4 cup bourbon

1 teaspoon vanilla

7 ounces dark chocolate

Preparation
1. In a medium bowl, stir together pecans, graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar and salt until well combined. Add maple syrup, bourbon and vanilla, stirring thoroughly. Use your hands to make sure the mixture becomes fully incorporated.

2. Form mixture into walnut-sized balls, then place on a cookie sheet and freeze for 2 hours.

3. In the top of a double boiler or in a medium stainless steel bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water, melt chocolate. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dip the frozen balls into the melted chocolate, then place onto prepared baking sheet. Let sit for 15 minutes or until firm.

Yield: 24 truffles.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/11/08/health/20101108_thanksgiving.html#Pecan_Pie_Truffles

and was going to make these but, they are kind of fussy too, think i will do your version escapee

INGREDIENTS:
box Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
1/2
cup canned pie filling or lemon curd
1/2
cup powdered sugar, if desired
to 4 teaspoons milk, if desired
Hide Directions
DIRECTIONS:
Heat oven to 450°F. Remove pie crusts from pouches; unroll on work surface. Cut each crust into 12 squares (some of the squares will have a rounded edge). Place 1 teaspoon filling on each square.
Bring all sides together in center; press to seal. With fingers, pinch dough firmly about 1/4 inch below edges, making a pouch with points extending over top. Place in ungreased mini muffin cup OR place mini paper baking cups in each of 24 mini muffin cups, and place popper inside baking cup. Repeat to make 24 poppers.
Bake 11 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Mix powdered sugar and milk until smooth, adding milk until thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle glaze over poppers; let stand until set, about 30 minutes.
http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/pie-poppers/094d38cb-21ef-41bf-8cdf-afb91f8a6fb2/

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Yesitsme, it's very simple. The trick is getting the consistency correct and use a pastry blender if you have one.

The recipe I have for pie crust consists of butter, water, flour, and a little salt. For apple pie I sometimes add cinnamon and nutmeg to the crust for a little extra flavor.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
i have a food processor and I make pie crust in less than 5 minutes. comes out AMAZINGLY PERFECT every time. just remember to keep your butter and water ice cold!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Those look delicious, Texannie. I think I'll add them to my Christmas cookie list!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, October 26, 2012 - 7:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I get recipes daily from this website and I just had to share this one...

Pumpkin Cheesecake Shooters

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/10/pumpkin-cheesecake-shooters.html#more

I'm going to have to do them for Thanksgiving. I think the kids will enjoy them too.

Jewels

09-22-2000

Friday, October 26, 2012 - 7:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
I love Skinnytaste, I use it all the time. Great recipes!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 8:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'm looking for a good, chewy, sugar-coated molasses cookie recipe. I used to have one, but I've lost it, and the last couple of years, the recipes I've tried have NOT been as good. The most recent called for shortening (I used 1/3 part butter b/c I didn't have enough crisco), only 1/4 c of molasses and 2 eggs. I've found a couple online that I'm willing to try, but I thought I'd ask here for some tried and true recipes, too.

Noellepv

03-04-2010

Monday, September 22, 2014 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Noellepv a private message Print Post    
For the first time ever, I made a Oatmeal cookie with just 2 ingredients, 1 cup of quick oats and 2 very ripe bananas. Baked at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, unfortunately they never baked, can anyone tell me why and how to bake these without any wheat, dairy and eggs please.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, September 22, 2014 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I've always processed the oats - grind them into a flour. Maybe that's it?

Noellepv

03-04-2010

Monday, September 22, 2014 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Noellepv a private message Print Post    
maybe I will try that next time Karuuna.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, September 22, 2014 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I did some looking around and found several two ingredient recipes for oatmeal cookies with bananas... and most of them don't.

So I guess I can't answer your question... sounds like it should have worked.

I just like the texture better when you grind the oats.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 4:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
did they not rise? maybe try adding baking soda or baking powder?

Noellepv

03-04-2010

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 11:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Noellepv a private message Print Post    
I will grind the oats when I try it again, just didn't do it yet since I threw out so much stuff the first time around, guess I got discouraged to do them again, Karuuna.
Texannie, no they did not rise at all, just runny on the baking sheet. If anyone tries it let me know please.