TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 20, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through May 20, 2017 users admin

Abby7

07-17-2002

Friday, May 12, 2017 - 8:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
ETA....j/k

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, May 12, 2017 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q: Who is the actor in the new Jurassic Park movies? Is it Pratt?

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, May 12, 2017 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Love me some Donny Osmond!! What fun stories.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, May 12, 2017 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Dipo, Chris Pratt. Link

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, May 12, 2017 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thank you Jmm, I always mix him and Chris Pine up and wanted to get it straight in my mind, LOL.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 9:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Mame, what a treat to see Maggie Smith on stage. I didn't care for the play when I read it but would have gone just to see her perform. Plus a Donny encounter, heaven!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Any Hiring Managers that might be able to help me?

I am starting to job search again. I have been out of work for 2 years due to medical issues. I have worked most of my life, took some time off when I moved due to marriage and had the opportunity to not work a bit. People seem to think it is some sort of sin to have a couple of gaps in employment. I worked most of my jobs for years, a couple of temp jobs for 6 or so months and my last temp job for 18 months. What might be good ways to address this?

I am also wondering about my resume. I think the more impressive stuff is older, pre the temp Customer Service jobs since moving but it makes for a long resume.

Thanks

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sugar I'll be interested in seeing the responses since I'm in exactly the same boat. Although my game plan is to be well enough in September to look for part-time work. Aside from journalism I do switchboard-reception & customer care.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, we are talking about it in UndercoverBoss:

https://tvclubhouse.com/forum/read.php?file=/156/8167400.html&lm=1494647538

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Karuuna. Could you switch my post over there?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Of course... done!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I have found when you are trying to re-enter the work force sometimes it works well to try temp agencies in your field. You can check out the company and sometimes the temp jobs turn into full time jobs.

It is really hard to find jobs these days, depending on your age. I have a friend who just got employed and it has been a little over a year since her layoff.

Also see if you can add anything to your resume to cover those periods of time, did you do any work/organizing for your kids' school, or manage some sort of fundraiser? I also found that not everyone is as concerned about gaps when you have a good explanation.

Ladders is a good job search place, sometimes they make you pay, but other things are free. Also in the tech field I just heard of AngelList.com.

But my one friend says it really is about networking to all your friends who might know someone who knows someone, so don't forget about that.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the input Dip.
I'd prefer not going the temp route again. If I have to go back to work, I want benefits.
I have lost touch with people I used to work with, don't even remember the names from the temp jobs.
It is frustrating, especially now that I am older. I really dislike job hunting.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, May 15, 2017 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I have another question... and I'm sure this one sounds particularly "dumb" and therefore relevant to this thread.

I don't know how to get into my own roofspace!

We have a two level house, but only part of the house is two levels, some is just one level. From the outside, the roof of the top level doesn't appear to join the roof from the lower level.

The main roof at the top has the usual square hole in the upstairs hall ceiling, but how do I get into the roof space of the lower level roof?!??!

Any one else got a house like this? I've looked everywhere on the top level to see if there's a trap door on a wall that might lead to the lower roof, and I can't see any access holes in the ceilings of the lower rooms. Do you think I'm correct in assuming there must be an access door somewhere??? Is there likely to be something obvious I'm missing? Like a kind of trapdoor from the main attic (I hate going up there so I haven't confirmed this)?

Any suggestions welcome!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, May 15, 2017 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Sugar, ck your county website for county jobs. They usually have entry level type jobs such as office assistant.

I was hired as a temp at my county job and I am now the Division Manager. Some jobs will hire temps an covert to a regular hire so I wouldnt count out a temp agency :-)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, May 15, 2017 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
My first instinct would be to say there isn't one. I bet you could call a local home inspector person and sweet talk him/her into telling you, since s/he goes into attics of houses every day.

Another idea is to post this same question on NextDoor. I think you are registered there. There would likely be a lot of your neighbors with similar construction in your neighborhood.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, May 15, 2017 - 9:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I did wonder about NextDoor, but there are about six houses like ours, and our "local" NextDoor goes out to 900 households!

I think you are right that there isn't one though. I've found that houses don't have to have an access if the space isn't higher than 36inches, and looking from the outside maybe it isn't that high. It's annoying though, we just noticed what looks like a water spot on the downstairs ceiling (where it's covered with the lower roof) and we don't know whether it's always been there or if it's that we haven't noticed it. It'd be good to check for signs of water inside the roofspace. Oh well, probably no rain for five months now so we'll have to watch for it in the fall.

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
Perhaps an opening between the two sections in the existing attic Kitt?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 6:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I wondered about that. They don't look like the areas overlap but I haven't explored the attic too much because it's so horrible with all the insulation up there, so there might be some small tunnel or something between the two. I found the house inspection report and it said he didn't explore areas less than 36inches high, per regulation, so I'm none the wiser there. I guess I cross my fingers and hope the area that looks water stained was always there, not anything new!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, May 19, 2017 - 6:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I have a similar situation at my house - I have two separate attics because my two-story house is built right up to the roof of my house, so you actually step down into the attic from access doors in closets on my second floor. I did find out, however, that they were attached at some point because my cat managed to go in one door and come out the other.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, May 19, 2017 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Well, there you go, Kitt! Send the cat up! Hahahaha! Duh! Occam's razor.

Get on Next Door and hire somebody to put in a pull-down fold out stairway to the attic and to go up there and put plywood down over the rafters, covering the insulation. You don't have to have a complete plywood floor up there, just the area with fairly good headroom surrounding the door. That will give you a LOT of out of sight storage. Bigdog did that first thing when he was still a young man, and when we still had the big freaking house with the freaking steep driveway on the big freaking steep hill. Best investment we ever made, and it was doggone cheap on parts, like a couple hundred dollars, including stairway and plywood.

Warning if you heed this advice: Look at what is left stored in the attic some time BEFORE the day you move OUT of the house, as there will be 18 boxes of memorabilia still up there. And you can't leave it, and you can't throw it away without at least looking in the boxes.

Juju, the Voice of Experience.

N.B.: Oh, and when we sold the house, I put a little sign on the pull-down for the folding steps to the attic door, and I swear having that attic storage space was a tipping point to selling the house at top dollar.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I've never been up in my attic.. No pull down stairs but there is a hatch and I've sent termite inspectors up twice. And my inspector when I bought. It is about 4 feet high, maybe less.. only because my building has a mansard roof. Most of the buildings in the complex don't have that much.

Someone told me that in another building with such an attic, people actually put in a room!

I don't need that storage because I have a 400 or so square foot room over my garage.. a bonus room (many of them have been converted to rental units) so I have 400 square feet (and more in cubic feet) of "stuff" that indeed will be a nightmare at some point.

As for Next Door.. I recently joined and sometimes it is the source of interesting stuff but OMG the snarking and bickering...

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Seamonkey, we don't usually have any bickering or snarking; well I can only remember one time when some people were getting upset about "profiling" suspicious characters.

Your next door sounds a lot more fun than mine. I do like the recommendations for service people, those come in really handy.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
They do lots of recommendations, but right now our city is going to rezone an area nearby and believe me there is a massive split pro and con.. so that gets heated.

One of the posters even ran for city council and almost made it.. she is against this rezoning. She gets bashed.

And another one.. someone posted a video all a bout how wonderful coyotes are.. cute puppies, moms training them. They play! They love each other! Etc.

This brought out others who have actually studied coyotes.. urban coyotes. So the woman who actually wrote a book is being bashed for daring to mention her book.

And people are pretending that the coyotes in our area are still afraid of people (not at all, unfortunately).

But it seems good for people who lose pets or people who find lost pets.

People did worry about a woman living in her car and tried to help her (mostly a real estate agent went to her.. and posted resource ideas. I was able to post a list of the three churches in our city that have homeless outreach) .. so that was a good thing.

What gets me is the ones who go into a thread or topic and say it has gone on long enough.. and all I think is.. why not just ignore the topic instead of posting and making the thread longer?

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 9:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
And Next Door does have an option to ignore/not even see threads one doesn't like.

There is some, but not much bickering on our Next Door, but we are a community of committed tree huggers, environmentalists, peace lovers, and do-gooders.